Mash-Up

"Okay, guys. We're a little behind for Sectionals... thanks to our Sue Sylvester detour. But you guys seem to really enjoy doing mash-ups, right? And I'm gonna keep you guys fired up. Plus, there's an important lesson to be learned with mash-ups. Sometimes things are so different, that they don't feel like they go together. But the big difference between them is what makes them great. Like... chocolate and bacon," Mr. Shue said, walking into the room.

"Or Glee Club and football," Finn added.

"Exactly. But you've proven that it is a great combination. So... here is my personal favorite song. And your homework for the week is to find an unexpected mash-up to go with it," Mr. Shue told us, handing out sheet music.

"Bust a Move," Kurt read.

"Yeah, this song is old school," Santana complained.

"All right. Um, Artie."

"Yeah?"

"Try to follow along on the bass."

"Yes." Artie agreed, moving to the band.

"Finn, take us through it," Mr. Shue requested.

"Uh, I'm sorry, Mr. Schuester. I got corn syrup in my eye," Finn said, as Quinn wiped slushy from his face. I gripped my grape slushy tighter, thankful I hadn't received a facial yet.

"Okay. Uh, Puck. How about it?"

"I don't really groove on Young MC," Puck replied.

"I am shocked at the lack of leading-man ambition in this room right now," Rachel whined.

"Wait, hold up, instead of complaining about none of the guys leading, why don't you ask Mike, Matt, or Nate for that matter, who never get the chance to sing?" I said to Rachel sassily.

"Matt and Mike are dancers, not singers. And Nathan is a Freshman, he'll have plenty of time to get solos once we upperclassmen graduate. Besides, the only reason you care is because you, Mike, and Matt have some weird poly relationship going on and you are cheating on both of them with Nathan," Rachel answered back rudely.

Santana and I both lunged forward only to be held back by Mike, Matt, Brittany, and Nate.

"You can't say that! It's not even true! You're just jealous because I'm in a loving, healthy relationship with a guy who actually likes me and you are in love with a man who you will NEVER HAVE," I yelled from Mike's arms.

"I will go all Lima Heights on your sorry ass if you don't leave my girl Maisie alone!" Santana defended me.

"Girls, Stop!" Mr. Shue yelled. "Maisie, I will find a song for the boys to showcase their talents later. Rachel, please don't make accusations about Maisie's love life. I'm going to do this song, myself."

=============================================================================

That afternoon, Mike and I were in my bedroom and Mike was telling me about the ultimatum Coach Tanaka had given them. Football or Glee.

"So what are you going to do?" I asked

"I don't know," Mike sighed.

"Do you want my opinion?"

"Please?"

"I know you love football and, I love getting to cheer for you, but you seem to be happiest when you're in Glee Club dancing."

"That's true, but still, football is fun too. Will you be mad if I don't pick Glee?"

I shook my head. "Of course not. Sad that I won't get to see you in Glee rehearsal and my favorite dance partner won't be there, but never mad."