the new student

it all started 11 years ago, the story of the new boy and a girl who was so desperate to experience what the world called
'love'

it all started 11 years ago, the story of the new boy and a girl who was so desperate to experience what the world called 'love'

September 9th, 2010
Wallstone Elementary, Haerin
8:35 am

the class was silent as they worked on their assignments, snickers and whispers heard here and there from the bored fifth graders.

jung yeona was working on her times tables, attempting to quickly finish it before the curly haired girl in front of her did. unfortunately for her, these weren't the ones she had been so fond of, resulting in her getting stuck on a few problems.

but before either of them could even think about finishing and winning the competition of speed, the door to their classroom was knocked on.

nobody had gone to the bathroom just yet, so maybe it was just another student bringing something for their teacher or someone who was late.

looking around, yeona could only see one seat that was empty, that seat belonging to one of the girls she would typically hang out with.

turning her attention back to the door that had been opened by her teacher, her interest peaked when she saw one of the ladies from the office. and boy was she an exciting sight.

most everyone knew that when that lady entered their class, they were about to gain a new student in their class. and just as the tradition goes, a boy no taller than the rest of the children walked in quietly behind her.

the class began to mutter and whisper in excitement, gaining an addition to their classroom was always fun. the opportunity to make a new friend and hear about their experiences at another school than theirs was somewhat intriguing for fifth graders like them.

"who is that?" the curly haired girl yeona had been battling in times tables earlier, park jinae, whispered. "i don't know, he's definitely different from the boys we've gotten in the past." yeona giggled, watching the boy walk to the front with the teacher guiding him.

"class, this is zhong chenle. he moved her from china, i want you all to greet him and show him a good time in mrs. daes class okay?" mrs. dae smiled, standing behind the dark haired boy. he only bowed, repeating his name with a bit of a foreign accent but not too bad.

"welcome to the class." the class said in unison, giggling coming shortly after. "he can sit at our table mrs. dae!" the table behind yeona shouted out, the boy she recognized as ahn ryuk sitting there with his hand up. mrs. dae smiled, guiding chenle to the said table.

"yeona, could you please get him a pencil box and the books he needs from the back desk please?" she turned to yeona who beamed back at her, nodding her head before getting out of her seat to prepare the materials needed for the new boy.

"did you even know we were supposed to get a new student, mrs. dae?" na jaemin questioned as the woman walked back to her desk. "i wasn't quite sure if we'd actually get him in our class but i did hear he'd be going here." she explained, sitting down in her seat to click at her computer.

"here you go. i'm not quite sure what colors you like so i gave you a green one." yeona smiled, holding out the plastic green pencil box full of things to the boy. she then placed three books on his desk. "i'm jung yeona by the way." she introduced, eye smile showing as she smiled wider.

the boy said nothing, only nodding to show he understood. yeona took that as the initiative to walk back to her seat, giving jinae a smug look.

"well arent you happy you're the teachers assistant this week." the older girl teased. "what? i like making the new people feel welcome." the girl shrugged as she sat, going to place her marker and dry dresser back into her own pencil box.

this story is undoubtedly based off of a childhood crush i had in fifth grade on a boy who i still think is very attractive but yk men aren't it so ill give him to yeona instead