prologue

The forest

The forest. A new labyrinth you couldn't yet navigate.

The darkness taunting you was nothing you weren't used to, but the rush of not knowing if you would live to see another day was forcing a painful pressure on every bone in your body. The stress it inflicted in your head was worse. With adrenaline coursing through your veins, you had never run so fast before. You've never had to. Trying to steady your rugged breathing and prolong the inevitable loss of your stamina, you dashed through the woods while both hunting and being hunted. One wrong move and you were dead.

twenty hours earlierAs expected, the slight creak of the door opening had woken you up early

As expected, the slight creak of the door opening had woken you up early. You learned to ignore it, beckoning sleep to find you. Opening your eyes ever so slightly, you looked out of the window and tried to determine what time it was. The night sky didn't allow this, so it must've been early morning. The clock in the hall outside your room interrupted your thinking process, telling you it was three in the morning. Your brother was not accustomed to this routine like you were.

"Otou-san?" His groggy, youthful voice spoke. He sat up in his futon, previously laid next to yours. You must've moved in your sleep. The sliding door separating your room and the entryway of the front door was left slightly ajar, no thanks to your brother.

"Go back to sleep, Hoshi-kun." Your father ordered in an equally, if not, more exhausted tone. You heard him shuffle towards a chair that was kept near the door, which you found odd. This wasn't part of his normal schedule, you thought. He doesn't ever sit down until he's changed his clothes.

The unexplained additional clacking you also heard suddenly made sense. That must be him using his katana as a makeshift crutch. You could hear his weight shifting on the chair as he fully rested on it, and it suddenly hit you.

A metallic smell?

Your eyes shot open.

"That means you, too, (Y/n)-chan." Your father ordered.

Another four hours of sleep and you were fully awake.

Was Otou-sama really bleeding? Could it have been a demon's blood? He's always despised dirty clothes, so it would make sense for him to come home early and clean up. But... he wouldn't endanger others so selfishly.