chapter eight | retired hashira, urokodaki-san

The morning was rough. By no means were you a morning person, regardless of how much you tried to convince yourself that you were.

It didn't matter how many times you'd done it before. Going to bed after a long night of doing your job and waking up a few hours later to do it again? Would anyone feel okay after doing that for so many years? After all, it's your fifth.

A demon slayer never sleeps.

A thud at your window disrupts your silent start to your day.

"Akihiro? What is it you want?" Rubbing your eyes, you walked to the windowsill. He dropped a letter from his claw, pecking your hand with his beak. You pushed him off the sill and shut the window. He'd be fine.

You examined the parchment in your hands. 

A letter? From Urokodaki-san?

You almost ran to the room a few doors down from your own and confirmed your suspicions. Your unfinished letter lay on your desk with all of two complete sentences scribbled on it.

It didn't make any sense.

(L/n) (Y/n),

Kamado Tanjiro is undergoing training to become a demon slayer. Because he has started so late, the training will be grueling in order to get him to the level he needs to be at. And then better. He's determined, but his ability isn't on par with his motivation yet.

His sister Nezuko has fallen into a deep sleep, so far lasting several days. I do not think she will be waking up anytime soon.

Would you be willing to assist in his training for a few days? Ubuyashiki is aware of this, and is willing to allow it as you were one of the boy's first contact with the Demon Slayer Corps. Giyū will take it upon himself to temporarily fulfill your duties as a Hashira if you choose to stay with us.

Urokodaki Sakonji

The letter was confusing.

Assist Tanjiro. His sister is asleep. Oyakata-sama will allow this. Giyū will take on your missions and patrol. Urokodaki chose to skip the closing in his letter and simply wrote his name.

How did this letter find me before I could even build a relationship with the retired water pillar?

It didn't matter. It's what you wanted, so you were going.