Controlled Shocks

As you made your way through the dark vent, you felt somewhat lonely. You were going to be all alone on this job. The only somewhat comforting person was Handunit. Even though he was a robot, you were relieved he was here.

"Allow me to fill this somewhat frightening silence with some light-hearted banter," Handunit said. "Due to the massive success and even more so, the unfortunate closing of Freddy Fazbear's Pizza, it was clear that the stage was set, no pun intended, for another contender in children's entertainment."

You frowned at the mention of Freddy Fazbear's Pizza. You remember that place. It was your favourite place to go as a child. You were extremely upset when it closed, it held so many memories.

"Unlike most entertainment venues, our robotic entertainers are rented out for private parties during the day and it's your job to get the robots back in proper working order before the following morning."

That made sense. You now understood why you didn't see any animatronics. They were kept here during the night and rented out for private parties during the day. You felt even better, knowing the truth.

"You are now in the Primary Control Module. It's actually a crawl space between the two front showrooms."

Looking around, you noticed two windows on either side. It was too dark to tell what lied behind them though. Turning your gaze to the front of the room, you noticed a vent. It must lead somewhere. You also noticed a fan and a mask. The mask was the most interesting part. You weren't sure why it was there, or who it belonged to, but you were curious to find out.

"Now let's get started with your daily tasks. View the window to your left. This is the Ballora Gallery Party Room and Dance Studio, encouraging kids to get fit and enjoy pizza. Let's turn on the light and see if Ballora is on stage."

You looked at the window. No matter how close you got, you couldn't see behind it. You then turned to the keypad in front of the window. One button was blue while the other one was red. You weren't sure what they were for.

"Press the blue button on the elevated keypads to your left."

Well, that's helpful. What's the red one for though?

Pushing your finger on the blue button, you watched as a light shined behind the window. You could now see the stage. The only problem was Ballora wasn't on her stage.

Where is she?

"Uh-oh. It looks like Ballora doesn't feel like dancing. Let's give her some motivation. Press the red button now to administer a controlled shock. Maybe that will put the spring back in her step."

A controlled shock?! How would that motivate Ballora?!

You were mad. No, angry. A shock didn't seem very fun. It didn't even seem like motivation, it seemed more like a punishment. At least you knew what the red button was for now.

Hesitantly, you pressed the red button and watched as a light flashed behind the window. You felt bad knowing you might've hurt Ballora.

"Let's check the light again."

Doing as Handunit said, you pressed the light again and looked at the stage. Twirling on her stage, was Ballora. You also noticed the little figures copying her movements beside her.

"Excellent. Ballora is feeling like her old self again and will be ready to perform again tomorrow. Now view the window to your right."

You turned towards the right window. It was the exact same thing you saw before.

"This is the Funtime Auditorium where Funtime Foxy encourages kids to play and share. Try the light, let's see what Funtime Foxy is up to."

You pressed the light. Like before, nobody was on stage. It felt strange to you, the fact that the animatronics left their stages. You also found it weird how they were forced to stay on their stages. It felt harsh to you.

"Looks like Funtime Foxy is taking the day off. Let's motivate Funtime Foxy with a controlled shock."

You really didn't want to shock him. He didn't deserve it. None of the animatronics deserved it. They didn't do anything wrong. But did you have a choice? No. It was either do your job or get fired.

Slowly, you pressed the red button and turned away. You weren't going to watch, it was too painful. After the flash disappeared, you turned back and pressed the light.

You watched in disbelief as Funtime Foxy was still not there. Would Handunit really make you shock Foxy two times? One was harsh enough, but two? It seemed unreal. No wonder nobody wanted to take the job. They didn't want to shock the animatronics.

"Let's try another controlled shock."

Attempting to drown out Handunit's voice, you pressed the button and turned away once again. Even if you couldn't see him, something in your gut told you he was in pain. You could do nothing, however.

You pressed the blue button again. Luckily, Funtime Foxy had returned to his stage and was now performing.

"Looks like Funtime Foxy is in perfect working order. Great job. In front of you is another vent shaft. Crawl through it to reach the Circus Gallery Control Module."

You looked back at Foxy. You weren't sure what he was feeling, even though he had a smile placed on his face. Was it a sad smile? You had no idea. You didn't have time to think about that though.

You slowly walked over to the vent.

"You hurt me."

You stopped. You had no idea where that voice had come from. Nor could you tell who said it. It sounded robotic, but you weren't sure if it came from a male or female. It made your heart sink, knowing you hurt someone. Whoever they were, you were sure they were either angry at you or upset.

Shaking your head, you crawled through the vent and made your way to the Circus Gallery Control Module.