Chapter Three

"You should let me paint your nails."

Sirius, who had been focused on finding the perfect song to play on the new record player Lily brought, looked up from his spot beside Roxie on one of the couches in the common room. It took him a few moments to register that Roxie was the one that spoke. He looked around to see who she was talking to, but realized that he was the only option.

Lily was off on the other end of the common room with Marlene, Dorcas, and surprisingly, Theodosia. James was a few feet away from the group of girls, gazing at the redhead dreamily while Remus read a book beside him and Peter organized his Every Flavor Beans.

"Were you talking to me?" he asked the brunette as she blew on her freshly painted nails lightly.

"Who else would I be talking to?" she questioned as 'Here Come the Sun' played beside them, "Do you want to do it or not?" "Sure," Sirius shrugged, setting the record sleeve he was holding on the table in front of him, "It could be fun." Roxie smiled at him excitedly, a welcome contrast to the usual disappointed or annoyed eye roll he usually received, and pulled out a small bag filled with multiple bottles of nail polish.

"Bloody hell how much nail polish do you have?" the long haired boy questioned, his eyes widening at the choices.

"You should see Lily's collection," the brunette responded, digging through the bag for a specific color, "Gotcha!" She smiled triumphantly as she held up a bottle of black nail polish and reached over for one of Sirius's hands. "So how was your summer?" Sirius asked as Roxie began applying the nail polish. "Exhausting," the brunette responded, "What about yours?" "The same as every year," the long haired wizard shrugged with a sad sigh, "What made yours so exhausting? Other than spending it with Prongs."

"Pancakes," Roxie responded, moving on to Sirius's other hand.

"Pancakes?" Sirius repeated, tilting his head in confusion. "James heard from Dorcas that Lily loved strawberry pancakes so he spent all summer learning how to make them," the Potter witch sighed brushing a strand of hair out of her face, "He woke me up every morning at five to help. He wants to learn how to do stuff 'the muggle way' and claims this is his first step." Sirius chuckled at the thought of his best friend attempting to make pancakes. "As annoying as it is," Roxie sighed with a small smile, "His intentions are kind of sweet. He knows how much Lily loves doing certain things without magic and he wants to be able to do them with her. That is with the assumption that she'll ever give him the time of day."

"Would you ever do that?"

"Do what?" the brunette asked, looking up at the boy across from her in confusion. "Put in all that work for one person?" Sirius inquired. "What's up with you?" Roxie teased as she closed the nail polish bottle, "You're never this serious?" "What are you talking about?" he questioned, a smirk on his lips, "I'm always Sirius." Roxie rolled her eyes as he chuckled at his own joke. "You're all done," she told him, "Just give them a few minutes to dry."

"You never answered my question," Sirius pointed out.

"I haven't really thought about it that much," the brunette confessed, shrugging as she put the nail polish back up, "I guess it depends on if it's for the right person. What about you?" "I guess I really haven't thought about it either," he shrugged, "but I'd like to think I would for the right person." Roxie smiled as she leaned across him to change the song. "This was an oddly serious conversation," she pointed out, pushing a strand of hair from her face as she made eye contact with the long haired boy, "Don't even think about it."

"You're no fun," Sirius pouted, looking down at his nails, "Why don't you just use magic to dry your nails? It would save so much time."

"It keeps me from having to do things I don't want to do," Roxie responded as James approached them. "Roxie," the Potter boy whined, batting his eyelashes dramatically as he sat beside her, "Would you be the greatest little sister ever and come help me finish this Transfiguration assignment?" "First off, that assignment was supposed to be finished over the summer holiday," the brunette sighed, rolling her eyes, "Secondly, stop calling me you 'little sister.' You're only thirteen minutes older than me. Besides I can't help you anyways. My nails are drying. Ask Moony to help you." Sirius chuckled as James poured and sulked off to where he was previously. "See?" Roxie smiled triumphantly, "I'm pretty sure I've used that excuse on him so many times he thinks it takes two hours for nail polish to dry."

"Hey Roxie!" a familiar voice called out, catching the two teens' attention.

They both turned to see Lily waving the brunette over to where she sat with their dorm mates, a wicked grin on her face. "Damn," the Potter witch huffed, noting Sirius's confused expression, "She wants to do makeovers or something. I heard her say something about wanting to cut somebody's bangs on the way back from dinner and that worries me." Sirius chuckled as the brunette let out a dramatic sigh of defeat. "I guess I better go," Roxie pouted, standing up, "This was fun Pads. We should do this again."

"What do you want?" she questioned as she approached her friends, who were all whispering and giggling to themselves. Lily didn't give her a response as she linked their arms and dragged her towards their dorm, Marlene, Dorcas, and Theodosia following close behind. It wasn't until they reached the door that the redhead finally spoke.

"Hey how do you feel about bangs?"

*********************************************
Idk why but this took me so long to write😔 anyways you can't convince me Sirius didn't wear black nail polish so here's this I guess😂