Chapter Four

September 16, 1975
"So what are we doing for Halloween this year?"

"Prongs it's the middle of September," Remus yawned as he attempted to eat his breakfast without falling asleep, "Halloween isn't until the end of October." James rolled his eyes at his friend before turning to his sister. "Back me up here Roxie," he pouted as said girl gave him a pointed look, "You love Halloween just as much as I do." "I'll love it a lot more when I'm not still half asleep," the brunette yawned, "For right now the only thing I love is my bed."

"Hey Roxie! Can I get your help with something?"

Roxie turned towards the voice to see Maxine Stewart. Maxine was a beater on the Gryffindor quidditch team with James, a fact Roxie only knew because of his frequent ramblings about the team after their practices. She actually took no interest in the actual sport, she just went to support her brother. 

"Y-yeah, sure what can I help with you?"

James bit back a laugh at his sister's slip up, but quickly shoved a spoonful of grits in his mouth when she kicked him under the table to shut him up. Maxine however didn't notice, or if she did she didn't let it be known.  "It's that Defense against the Dark Arts essay due next week," the blonde quidditch player responded, "I don't know if I'm understanding the topic correctly and was hoping to get your opinion." "Oh totally," Roxie told her with another smile, "Breakfast is almost over, but I can help you any other time if you want." "Does after dinner work?" the blonde asked, beaming at the Potter girl in a way that made her feel all fluttery inside. "Sounds perfect...," the brunette started to respond, her voice trailing off slightly.

"Max," the other girl finished, "You're a real life saver Roxie."

Roxie couldn't do anything but smile and wave as the blonde went to rejoin her friends. "Did you seriously forget her name?" Remus teased once the brunette snapped back into reality. "Did I really?" the Potter witch groaned, covering her face with her hands, "I made a complete fool of myself didn't I?" "I don't know what you did but it sure was entertaining to watch," James responded with a chuckle. Roxie groaned once again before looking up. She looked across the table and made eye contact with Sirius, whose gaze was fixed on her as he gripped his spoon tightly. However, the second their eyes met, he ducked his head and resumed eating his breakfast. That was the last time he looked in her direction at all that day.