Chapter Six ♡︎

You made your way elegentally towards the stairs, taking two glasses of champagne off the tray of the waiter as you walked past. The man was still stood gloating as he looked over the ballroom. It was funny the look on his face, you couldn’t wait to see it wiped off. You reached the bottom of the stairs, and stepped up them gracefully. The skirt of your dress trailed behind you. 

When you made it to the top of the stairs, you looked back over the crowds of people to look for Bucky. You couldn’t spot him or the man, and it made you slightly nervous. But not nervous enough. You stalked across to where the man was standing and offered him a glass of champagne. He chuckled and declined. 

“I know why you’re here,” he said, still overlooking the crowds of people dancing.

You threw the two glasses of champagne over the balcony, “Then let’s make this quick,” you said, stalking towards him. Fear highlighted his eyes, his face. And you knew you were on display right now. Even more so if he cried for help, but he didn’t. Instead he let you push him against a wall, and punch him across the face. 

He coughed blood and spat it into your face. You looked away to wipe it out your eyes, but he’d kicked you in the torso and you stumbled backwards. But before you could turn and hit him again you heard someone shout. It rang a bell, an alarm, throughout your whole body. “Angel,” was the singular word he had called. 

You pulled a knife from hidden inside your belt, a tiny pocket knife. You flipped it open and threw it at him. Accurately, like you always did. It hit him in the torso. Then you ran to the balcony and jumped over it, flipping in midair and landing in the middle of the ballroom floor. 

As you stood up Buck used his knife to open the back of your dress. It fell down as you stood up straight and stepped out of it. You zipped up the top of your suit, and kicked the dress to the side. Buck had the guy on the ropes, he’d almost be dead if it wasn’t for the man in the navy suit who was holding a gun. “This was fun,” said the man in the navy suit. 

You rolled your eyes. 

Buck pulled a gun from your waistband that was sat in your spine. He handed it to you and you squatted down. Buck shot at the man in the navy and you shot the man stood behind him in the leg. Both men fell to the ground. You stood up and resteadied yourself. When you walked over to the man in the navy, but you noticed he had foam coming from his mouth. You looked over to Buck who had a horrified expression on his face. 

“He was hydra,” 

You looked over at him. “He was what?” you asked. Bucky sighed and walked over to the other man.

His wife let out a cry, and you looked over to her. The mask she once wore had been discarded and mascara was running down her face. It left black stains along her cheeks. She looked absolutely distraught. The Winter Soldier and his Angel were stood over her husband, who would be dead in less than thirty seconds. You bit your lip so you wouldn’t apologise. Yet with her stood right there you couldn’t do it. So you slid your gun back into your waistband and took for the stairs. 

The man who had been up there had gone, but left a trail of blood. You followed it at a sprint, until it stopped. Outside an oak door with flowers carved into it, and it was really beautiful. It took you a moment to realise that you had to go with him. 

Buck stopped at the end of the hallway, after shooting the first target he had taken off after you in case you had needed back up. But he had stopped still when you were looking at an oak door. Quickly enough you turned the rusted handle and stepped inside, closing the large door behind you. Buck made his way to the door and waited outside in case he heard a problem. 

The man you had wanted to kill was sat in a tall, velvet chair by a fire. It was the only light in the dark room. You took in its appearance, it was a bedroom. A large bed with pink curtains that hung still around it sat taking the most space. It had gold sheets that looked old. Like the room hadn’t been used in a hundred years. “You are Y/N Y/L/N, correct?” the man asked you, it was barely audible. 

You were taken aback. Only Buck had called you Y/N. You just thought it was what he called you, like you called him Buck. No-one else called you and him that. But how did that man know you. “My name is irrelevant,” you stated, stepping towards him and pulling a knife out your thigh holster. 

His back was away from you, what a poor decision. “Your name is relevant, if you knew it,” he said, “You were a different person,”

He was stalling, and you didn’t have the time to wait. So you walked towards him, the boots of your suit tapping against the wooden floor boards. The man fell quiet when you stood in front of him, the knife you were holding was pointed towards him. You leaned forward and placed the sharp side of the knife against his throat. “Gun or knife?” you whispered. 

He didn’t respond to you. 

“I guess I’ll decide then,” you said, before slashing the knife across his throat. You closed your eyes after the cut and walked away. You wiped the blood of the knife on the gold covers of the bed. 

You placed the knife back in your thigh holster and opened the door. Buck was stood outside leaning against the door frame of the room across from the one you just left. “You okay?” he asked, you shook off the feeling that you had and nodded. “Your good, you could kill a thousand men,” 

“I’d rather not,” you responded as Buck took your hand. You walked along the corridor, the faded blue carpet would’ve matched your dress. The dress that was now ruined downstairs, the dress that made you feel beautiful. Buck had lost his tuxedo, and both of you were now walking in your suits. When you reached the window at the end of the corridor Buck smashed his foot through it, causing the glass to shatter. His hand was still in yours and he squeezed it twice before placing his mask, his suit’s mask, over his face. 

Then both you and him stepped onto the window ledge, you placed your mask over your face too. Buck then let go of your hand and jumped from the ledge. It was completely dark so you couldn’t see him, if he was dead or alive. “Y/n,” he shouted up, letting you know he was okay. 

You looked into darkness before stepping off the ledge and falling into the darkness. It felt like the longest drop ever, and you didn’t know how close you were to hitting the ground. And if you did you would probably die. 

Buck saw your body just in time and stepped forward, catching you in his arms. 

He moved some stray hair from your face, and removed your mask. You dropped out his arms and steadied yourself. For a split second your eyes met, and you felt butterflies in your stomach as he looked down at you. But then he walked away from you, as a scream rang out signalling the body of the second man had been found. 

You’d seen Buck as your friend. 

But now you thought it was something more. 

“Come on,” he whispered, “let’s get out of here,”