Chapter 3: Frontière

I am renaming the "General Staff" to the Cabinet. Just sounds better.

-------------------------------------------

The militia, now practically doubled in size, continued to move on the French landscape. With a clear image of what to expect, Jules divided the civilians into different groups. All able-bodied and willing individuals would be building homes, while the homeless would be forced to Labour jobs.

Multiple groups formed inside the civilian sector. Jobs were divided upon themselves, and clear instructions were given to everyone involved. A structure would be created, and it would all be supervised by Jules. The moment everyone stepped foot onto Madagascar was when everyone had to work quickly. Houses would have to be rapidly built, farms and cattle would be designated from pre-determined spots. Overall, Jules was confident in his ability to bring success to the future nation.

There were five civilian sectors created on the spot. The "Regulars" were ordinary civilians who would help out in areas such as factories. The "Labourers" were primarily homeless. They would be doing manual labor but will also receive an education. "Researchers" were, as the name implies, all researchers who knew how to build and create new things. This sector would be doing no manual labor at all. The "Exempt" sector was young and old people, unable to work in any field. Schools would be immediately set up, and the Regular sector will be teachers, including some researchers. Finally, there is the Military.

There are four branches. First is the AAE, or the air force. There were only a few dozen helicopters and planes, which meant this would be kept tidy easily. Then was the GCA, or the army. There were 1,000 soldiers, all equipped with modern military hardware. But they would all be working on constructing buildings. The navy is next, with only five ships, with only two military-capable, it was undoubtedly the smallest, but it was also the most important. Finally, there is the FSF, the special forces. Only a handful of soldiers who pass the correct moral test can join this group, as they would be doing necessary actions to stop any attacks from native groups.

Native groups were also an area of precaution. It had already been decided that the new French Empire would absorb and willing tribes, but if any attempted to oppose them, strict military presence would be required.

-------------------------------------------

Napoleon sat back and watched his Cabinet do their jobs. He had no country to lead. Not yet. His job would come the moment they arrived at Madagascar. Napoleon understood this well. He knew that everyone around him understood this new technology more than him. Any lousy fool could invade any country with the guns and tanks at his disposal.

However, as the Cabinet continued to talk, Napoleon noticed one issue.

"What about the locals? They would surely cause problems." Everyone nodded their heads.

"Ah, yes. I was planning to get to that soon enough." Jules continued to map off their landing location, as well as the designs of the homes. "We will land on the southeastern tip of Madagascar. It will be a port city."

Jules showed a map of modern-day Taolagnaro, which was a flat city reasonably far from wildlife. A badly-drawn image was depicting houses with a massive wall surrounding the Western portion. On the other side was a large port, supposedly for docking ships.

"That's the basic idea of everything. None of us know what to expect, nor how well we can manage any issues that show up." Napoleon smiled.

"That's my job, not yours. Once we arrive at Montpellier and appear in my time, I will bring our people together. I am the emperor. That is my duty."

-------------------------------------------
Two days later...

The militia was bustling with life.  Only one mile away from the port, 450 soldiers were sent ahead to convince a ship crew to join them or take the ship with force. It was like starting a colony.

As everyone continued to do their jobs,
Napoleon decided to adopt a hands-on approach. He had been watching on the sidelines, carefully noting how people from the future interact. He learned of their morals and speeches, and now he was ready to act.

He got off his cart and swayed towards the homeless sector. Many of the civilians traveling with the militia to the past were looking for a new life and new business opportunities. Most soldiers had no loyalty either, only being swayed by the cash they were promised. All these factors could lead to rebellion, which would spell immediate doom to the second empire.

Napoleon had a plan, however. The homeless had been in this situation due to unrest among the democratic government, and a new pandemic cooling down the economy. They all had unsavory experiences with the current government, and with Hundreds of homeless gathered around, he truly believed he could sway their opinion to his favor, even slightly.

As Napoleon slowly crept towards the sector, civilians looked towards him in confusion. He walked towards a group of men, possibly in their 30's, playing a game of cards.

"Hello. May I join you in this game of cards?" Napoleon said in a friendly tone. None except the oldest of the group spoke.

"You are our king, yes? Why are you here, surrounding yourself with people as poor as us?" Napoleon's eyebrows furrowed.

"Bah! I am no king; I am an emperor! A people's emperor! Those kings squander around, ignoring the needs of the people. I have witnessed battles with my own eyes. I stood next to our brothers, who fell due to gun wounds. I am superior to these kings in every way!"

The men looked amused. Never have they heard a man their age be so successful. They all began to laugh, but Napoleon paid it no mind. "I look forward to the continuation of the empire. If you work, you will be paid. Now I shall see myself off." Never had a group of people been swayed by money like these men.

-------------------------------------------

Montpellier

The militia has finally arrived. The civilians in the city all hid, worried at the fact that soldiers were patrolling the streets. The 450 soldiers that had come first successfully swayed two ship crews to turn to their sides, one destroyer and one Cold War-era battleship.

Along with the military ships were three transport ships, just enough to fit every personal belonging for everyone in the militia. It would take weeks to sort everything out and return everyone's items, but the people already had more things to worry about. When everything was put on board the transport ship, a light flickered in the ocean.

The light continued to turn on and off until it finally stood open and eerily grew bigger. It continued to grow until it could fit the battleship. The new French military had checked if everything was on board and finally set sail.

Napoleon and the cabinet were in the back, discussing the first major issue they would face. Soon enough, they decided that the port and houses would be built, with more attention towards the harbor.

Napoleon walked up to the stern and began a speech.

"My men, we shall soon step foot in a land you call the past! We will face hardships and difficulties, but we can overcome them! We will persevere! We have the technology, we can make France glorious, and that is what I intend to do! Follow me, as your emperor! You will receive fame and riches; you will receive prized items, so follow under my lead! Vive l'Empereur!"

"Vive l'Empereur!"