7. Positivity

Chapter 7: Positivity

Cody sat at the side of his bed with his mother leaning his head on her shoulder. She stroked his hair as he slowly calmed down and the tears stopped.

"So you like someone?"

Cody nods his head and sniffles.

"And does this person like you back?" She asked softly.

"Yes"

"Well then Cody, what's the problem?"

"I don't understand why they like me." Cody mumbled. "I'm nowhere near good enough for him and looking at him makes me want to start trying to be perfect."

"Nobody's perfect Cody"

"He is."

Cody's mother smiled, her baby had finally found someone. Her little Cody who piled on the pounds during his childhood and couldn't burn it off during adolescence, the Cody who would cuddle with her to get to sleep because he felt that he wasn't good enough no matter what she told him, he Cody who ignored her for a month because he thought that she loved Brandon more than him, had finally found someone that could appreciate his beauty inside and out and she didn't want to let him put that to waste because Cody had let himself slip back into his old ways. That would just end up with a sad family and a meeting with a therapist twice a month, they'd been there and they didn't want to go back.

"Well if this 'perfect' guy has told you that he likes you then I don't think that you should change in any way to try and impress him. There's a reason he likes you Codes and I honestly don't think that he'll care what the number on that scale is as long as he gets to spend time with you."

Cody looked up at his mother knowing that what she was saying was right but there was still a part of him that told him he would never be good enough.

.

The next day when Cody woke up he was determined to have a positive attitude. Today was the day he had a date with Hunter, his first ever date, and it was with Hunter, a boy who Cody perceived as some kind of Greek God sent down to help him through his woeful life. His positive day had a great start as at 8:00 he received a text from Hunter explaining that he was too impatient to wait until that night to see him and asked if he wanted a lift to and from college.

Cody spent an extra fifteen minutes choosing his outfit that day; he didn't know why he was trying so hard as Hunter had seen him in everyday clothes many a time before but now on the day of the date everything seemed more important, every breath seemed more fresh and every sight felt more vivid. The extra time it took to choose a green, baggy knitted jumper and his black skinny jeans that Livy said made his but look great, meant that he only had time for a cup of tea before Hunter was at the door nervously bouncing on the balls of his feet at the doorstep.

Hunter rang the doorbell straightening his plaid shirt before the door opened. The woman who opened the door was certainly not Cody but judging by her faint laughter lines and confused blue eyes he guessed that she was Cody's mother.

"You're not the post man."

"No, no I'm not." Hunter laughed. "I'm here to pick up Cody."

"Cody?" suddenly there was a mischievous glint in the woman's eyes.

"Yeah, I'm Hunter?" he said the statement like a question looking for the woman to recognize his name.

"Hunter...Oh you must be the perfect boy Cody has been fretting about!"

"Umm, I hope so."

"I'll go get him for you. Come in."

Hunter awkwardly stood in the hallway looking at a painting hung on a wall. He soon heard footsteps and put on his best smile to greet Cody, wondering how cute and fluffy he would look early in the morning. However when he looked up he was met with a different set of blue eyes. He recognized him as Bradley, Cody's brother, he was around the same height as Cody but he was more slim and muscular. Hunter could see some likeness between the two though for example they had the same nose. The boy had stopped in his tracks obviously taken aback by Hunter's presence.