Foreign

30th July 1522, Wiltshire

"You're leaving me? Again." Arabelle groans after receiving the news that her Father was yet again leaving to fight another battle for the King. "I spend most of my childhood in France, only to come back to England and bail you out of The King's debts and now you decide to leave only some time later."

"Arabelle. It is my duty."

"Duty to who? Your daughter." She bites back.

"The king. You know of this!" Henry tries to hold back his frustration at his daughters lack of understanding of the matter.

"You warn me of the King yet when he tells you to jump, you always question the height."

"I am part of the-" He is cut off by his sharp daughter.

"No! You will go to any lengths for this man, yet when your own daughter needs you you find it impossible to be there. Remember that when you die, I will have no-one."

"I-"

"No. Forgive me father." Arabelle's eyes widen, an apology coming from her lips.

"There is nothing to forgive daughter. You are just expressing your thoughts. I understand how hard it must be for" Henry rubs his head with his palm.

"Please don't say that you understand. You don't understand. You men parade around court, the King gives you land and titles without a care whilst we women gain titles through marriage or being the daughter of someone. I am supposed to marry whoever you or the king think is suitable, without my own choice or say. I am not allowed to hold my own. To be happy."

"We will discuss marriage when I am back." This wasn't a conversation he wanted before he left, especially as he knew that there was potential he would not make it back home.

"And what happens if you don't come home? I am just going to be the ward of someone who will definitely sell me on with my big dowery because I am Stafford girl or worse. I won't be able to have a husband because I am a Stafford. It will be used against me either way."

"I will come home. I promise you."

"Don't make promises you can't keep." The blonde walks away, leaving her Father to sigh with his thoughts.

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■ ■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

1st August 1522, Calthorpe Estates

"I had to come see how you are." Arabelle says. The stress from the argument had made her want to see one person only.

"I have been better but the Calthorpes treat me so well. I cannot complain." Anna Stafford gives a warm smile, but Arabelle knew she wasn't truly happy. She was just too polite to say.