Hungry Eyes

19th June 1522, Whitehall Palace

The Holy Roman Emperor had arrived at court as part of an arrangement to marry Princess Mary when she was to come of age, but that was not all. The Treaty of Windsor was also to be signed, a pact against France that aligned Charles V with King Henry.

The Roman Emperor was a jolly man, though just the ripe age of twenty-two, he looked a lot older with his dark beard and curly moustache. He was much shorter than Henry and had a thick Spanish accent, much like his Aunt Queen Catherine.

The whole of the court were gathered in the Great Hall to watch the arrival of Charles, that included Arabelle and Anne as they were both some of  Catherine's ladies.

"Your Majesty, his imperial highness, Charles Holy Roman Emperor" The Spanish man was announced into the hall, watched by all.

"Your Majesty." He drops to his knees in front of the Queen. "I ask for your blessing as a nephew to an aunt."

"I give you my blessing dearly, my sweet Charles." Catherine replies sweetly, as he takes her hand with a kiss. "As I give you my love." He stands and they exchange cheek kisses.

"Your Highness." Catherine takes his hand and walks him towards his future bride, the Princess. "Allow me to present my Daughter Mary, your future bride." The little girl bows before him, and Charles claps with happiness.

The room lit with joy and smiles, for the little Princess was a loving sight, however Arabelle could not help but notice the exchanging looks between the King and Anne.

"Bravo!" Charles grins, taking her into a hug. "Now we must wait to be married. Do you think you have the patience?"

Mary nods eagerly. "I have a present for Your Highness. Do you want to see it?"

"I love presents! Show me." The six year old girl takes him to the window to present three horses on the yard waiting for him. "They are the best presents I've ever had!" He exclaims.

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■ ■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

Later that day, a feast was held on the gardens with musicians and luxurious food as well as company from some of the richest and most important people in England, though most were already at English court.

Catherine's ladies were helping with the food servings for the important guests, as the King thought that beautiful women serving food would be more impressive than young boys. Henry made sure Anne was in charge of the food servings for the King's table, which included the the King himself,  Queen Catherine, and Charles V.

"Madame." Anne curtsies to the Queen as she places a metal tray full of  fresh strawberries on the table, walking away to fill some cups, she exchanged alluring glances with the King.