First Encounters

8th June 1520

8th June 1520

"Is the Queen really as beautiful as they say? I can't wait to see her." Anne asks, excitement running through her voice, grabbing Arabelle's arm.

She chuckles in response to Anne's enthusiasm of the English royals. "It's been seven years Anne, I barely remember what my own Father looks like, never mind the Queen of England."

The two girls had been joined at the hip ever since their first meeting seven years ago. Though there was a small age gap of four years between them, they were one and the same.

"All I know is that Catherine is much older than King Henry, I believe it's by six years and though they have..."

Arabelle was cut off by Lady Burgh, The Governess. She was a tall woman with dark hair, dark eyes and a dark soul. Well, that's what she and Anne thought.

"If you two continue to gossip then I will report to both of your Lord Father's about your inappropriate behaviour." This wouldn't be the first time Lady Burgh had threatened the two girls.

Both sniggered before forming a smile, keeping their mouths closed.

       ■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■ ■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

Thomas Boleyn was the French ambassador so he rode alongside King Francis I. Arabelle's Uncle Edward was the highest nobleman in England and her Father also had a good enough status to ride beside King Henry. Arabelle couldn't help but notice the handsome man riding on the left side of Henry, he was tall, dressed in velvet with beautiful blue eyes she could spot a mile off. Charles Brandon. She remembered his name, he was married to the King's sister, Princess Margaret but she had heard rumours of their unhappy marriage and choice to live separately. Arabelle wondered why, the Princess was always so kind and so beautiful.

"I've never seen the English look so exotic." Anne whispers to her, snapping Arabelle from her thoughts of Brandon. She was right. They were all dressed up in fur and feathers like wild animals. Arabelle scanned the crowd, spotting the Queen a little behind, but she looked hard for her favourite cousin, however she was no where to be seen. She had recognised a few of her other cousins, just not Anna.

Both Kings met, horses facing one another. You could feel the animosity between the two blowing through the cool winds of Calais. Both men too bold and too proud.

"Cousin." Henry states, a wave of his hand.

"Cousin." Francis bluntly replies.

"After you." Henry gestures for Francis to ride ahead.

"No. After you." Francis disagrees.

This was a childish game, Arabelle thought, though she wouldn't say aloud. Both men suddenly erupt in laughter, causing Arabelle to roll her eyes.
The King's eventually made their way through the entrance, erupting in laughter at ridiculous jokes they made to one another. Was this really peace?