X The Department - 3

I reached into my reticule and pulled out the envelope bearing the Ruritanian insignia. "This was in Simpelstur's desk."

The boss took it, turning it over in his meaty hands.

"Have you read it?" he asked.

"No, sir," I shook my head. "I came straight here. I was in public the whole time."

"Next time, find a quiet bolt hole and read the blasted thing," he said, quite rudely. "Then, even if someone steals the document, they cannot steal the contents. Please include an explanation in your report of why you neglected to undertake this simple, preventative exercise."

I nodded, feeling incompetent. The vague ache in my stomach grew more pronounced.

My boss examined the seal. "Look here," he said, holding the envelope out to me. "See this?"

I looked, seeing only the same symbol I had noticed on the wings of Theo von Hentzau's flivver. I shook my head.

The boss sighed. "You must learn to observe, Auber! This variation on the Ruritanian coat-of-arms, with the small, ducal coronet above the sword-and-rose motif, is used by the Archduke."

My excitement overwhelmed my anxiety. "Then he is involved! This is exactly what we have been looking for!"

"Don't end your sentences with prepositions, Auber," my boss said, dryly. He pulled the letter from the envelope, and unfolded it. He snorted, and handed it to me.