LXIV Shocking Behaviour

Blaise found himself blinking in confusion, his brain unable to process the evidence his eyes were supplying. Cartimandua Silverstar was studiously looking at the floor, but the golden hair and cupid's-bow lips were unmistakable. Her complexion, though – Blaise had never seen her look so pale or drawn.

"Come, Mandy," Dr. Simpelstur said, extending a gloved hand. "Tell me if what this young man says is true."

Her chin tucked into her chest, still not looking towards Blaise, Miss Silverstar walked slowly forwards, until Simpelstur grabbed her by the arm and dragged her to stand in front of Blaise. Blaise  looked up at the opera diva, his heart pounding in his chest. He felt an almost uncontrollable desire to stand between Miss Silverstar and the wicked doctor. The bonds holding him to the chair, however, seemed as strong as ever. Miss Silverstar continued to stare at the floor.

"Is he telling the truth, Mandy?" Simpelstur demanded.

"A-about what?" It was odd to hear the famed stage actress speak so hesitantly; Blaise began to worry he might not be the only prisoner.

"Does he work with you?"

Miss Silverstar's dark eyes flickered upwards, meeting Blaise's for only an instant. "Of course he does," she responded, "How else do you think I know him?"

"So, then, he is not Blaise Auber, professor of aetheric phenomena?" Simpelstur punctuated this statement by placing his black tophat on his head, covering his well-oiled hair.

"What? He is!" Cartimandua stared at Simpelstur.

Simpelstur grabed her by the chin. "How is that possible, Mandy?"

"Leave her alone!" Blaise said, finally finding his voice somewhere deep within his confused outrage.

Simpelstur did not ever look at the younger man; he simply cuffed him with a half-open fist, casually. Blaise's already-bruised cheek blossomed with a sharp flush of hot pain.

Cartimandua Silverstar gasped. "A person can do two things, uncle!" she practically spat out., staring into Simpelstur's eyes, the same dark colour as her own, "I assure you, Blaise Auber is both a university instructor and a talented trombonist!"

Simpelstur dropped his niece's chin, turning again, thoughtfully, to Blaise. "She seems oddly emotional about you, Auber. A pity, really, as she won't be seeing you again."

"What?" Miss Silverstar replied, her voice low and cautious.

"Well, I can hardly let him go, my dear. It would be detrimental to your career."

"But, uncle -"

"Do not talk back to me, Mandy!" Simpelstur roared. "Out!"

Miss Silverstar wilted. Biting her lower lip, she looked to Blaise. For just an instant, their eyes locked, and then she ran out of the room, disappearing through the door and into the bowels of the ship.

Trying to sound brave, Blaise asked, "What are you going to do with me?"

Simpelstur smoothed his moustache. "Wouldn't you like to know? But alas, you will not find out just yet; first, I am going to watch my beloved niece, at the theatre."

Tapping his hat, Simpelstur left the room, closing the door behind him. Blaise could hear the snick as the door was locked.

 Blaise could hear the snick as the door was locked