LI Chocolate - 1

"Too angry to speak with me?" I repeated, my heart plunging into my stomach.

"Oh, yes," Joanna said. She placed a hand into a slit in her wide skirt, and drew something out from the old-fashioned pocket she wore tied around her waist between it. The object proved to be a small composition book bound in burgundy, marble-patterned board. She also drew out a cedarwood pencil. She opened the notebok, and tapping the page with the pencil, continued, "He was quite incensed when he read the paper - specifically the part where the reporter correctly identified that you were lying to her."

"She's very clever, though!" I said, defensively.

"He said that if a mere child could figure you out, he ought to discharge you."

"He knows this sort of work isn't my forte! I wanted to work in cryptography, as well he knows!"

Joanna turned a page and tapped it with the pencil. "He knows. He also says you'll never be a well-rounded -"

"I know!" I whined, "I know."

"He does suggest that you need to spend more time ingratiating yourself with your, erm,' young pseudo-aristocrat'. He futher suggests you do this by bringing chocolate, as you get a discount."

Chocolate? Again? My irritation increased.

"Oh," Joanna said, "and he says you should pay for it yourself; he refuses to pay expenses related to incompetence."

~*~

The Ruritanian Embassy is housed in a red brick structure from the last century. Its flat facade is admirably broken up by a large number of regularly-spaced, rectangular windows in white sashes. The main doors are directly in the centre, and are opened by a pair of mechanical doormen. Unlike the metal doormen one sees throughout the capital, those at the Ruritanian Embassy have wooden bodies, carved in a traditional, Ruritanian style. One is in the shape of a bear, and the other a stag, both wearing garlands of roses to represent Ruritania and standing on their hind legs, a forefoot or hoof positioned to open the doors.

I expected to have to ask for Theo von Hentzau, but I found him immediately upon entering the building. Theo was seated at a large reception-desk, and Gabriel Dantès, both hands on the desktop, was glaring at him. Hentzau was dressed in shirtsleeves and a bright, blue waistcoat, but Dantès wore his worn jacket and mariner's cap, even though he was indoors. Neither young man noticed my entrance.

"You took her to the operetta and still did not tell her?" Dantès said.

"The right opportunity did not present itself," Hentzau responded. "Calm down."

"You spent hours with her. You could have told her hundreds of times!"

"I suppose, but -"

Dantès leaned in towards Hentzau. I suspect he intended to look menacing, but his face is so open and friendly that I am not certain he is capable of appearing menacing. "If you do not tell, her, I will."

I cleared my throat, loudly.

Dantès snapped to a standing position as Theo tugged his jacket straight and turned a broad smile on me.

"Miss Auber!" Theo's voice sparkled with delight, "You have decided to visit me! Gabe, you owe me lunch."