LV The University - 2

Blaise hurriedly set the orange and the grape back on his desk. Baudoin stood, rushed over to me, and put his arms around my waist. Miss Silverstar looked up at me and smiled.

"Twice in two days, is that right, Miss Auber?" She asked.

I nodded.

"Of course, if I continue to see as much of your brother as I would wish," she stood up and walked over to Blaise, briefly brushing his hand with her fingers. His cheeks flamed. "Why, then you will see me very often."

Baudoin stuck out his tongue at them, but retracted it when he caught my expression.

I looked from Silverstar to Blaise and back again. "It is always so lovely," I commented blandly, "when a person recognizes that an old acquaintance has value as more than merely a friend."

"Almost as lovely as when a new friend turns out to be much more, shall we say, interesting? More interesting than one expected. Strong attachments do tend to develop suddenly, don't you think, Miss Auber?"

"Oh, indeed," I stammered, staring at her. She was obviously referring to my relationship with Theophilus von Hentzau – and that he wasn't merely a clerical employee at the Ruritanian Embassy. Indeed, I wondered how much she knew about Theo von Hentzau. For a moment I was terribly tempted to grab each of Cartimandua Silverstar's arms, and shake the truth out of her. I ought to have done it, too, but I simply couldn't. Not when Blaise was smiling at her like some besotted mooncalf and Baudoin looked far too confused for anyone's good.

Blaise caught me staring at him and apparently decided that changing the subject was the wisest course. "Why are you here anyway, Pascale?"

"I have come to collect Baudoin. I believe I have a suitable educational option for him."

"I am not going back to that school!" Baud protested. "I will tell mother about -"

"I didn't say you were!" I interrupted. "I have found another school."

Blaise  raised an eyebrow. "Good luck getting him in!"

"I have an alumnus to vouch for him," I said, annoyed. "But he must come and meet the headmaster."

"Good," Blaise said, "Take him."

"I will not go!" Baud protested, knowing that Blaise would not want him to make a scene in front of Miss Silverstar.

"You certainly shall!" I retorted, taking him firmly by the arm.

Baudoin began to jerk his arm out of my grip. To my extreme surprise, Miss Silverstar walked over to the boy. She took his chin in her hand, and then bent to look him in the eye, her cupid-bow lips forming a slight smile.

"I think I know who this alumnus is, and if I'm right, you won't hate the school, you know," she said.  "It would please me very much if you let your sister take you there."

Baudoin visibly gulped. I would have thought he was too young to think much of girls, but apparently Miss Silverstar was a particularly impactful specimen. Baudoin nodded.

"Good boy." Miss Silverstar said as Baudoin continued to look up at her in fascination.

"I - thank you?" Blaise said, confused. Miss Silverstar patted his arm. "There now, Dr. Auber, I have clearly kept you far too long. Besides," she tugged at her neckline and produced a tiny watch suspended on a gold chain, "I promised the new girls in the chorus that I would run through the Act I finale with them before the rest of the company arrives, and I am very nearly late. I will see you this evening, won't I?"

"This evening?" I interrupted.

"It's Thursday, Pascale. There's a performance." Blaise sounded exasperated. "And yes, Miss Silverstar, I shall be in attendance."

I looked from Blaise to Miss Silverstar, who wore an amused smile.

She said. "Be good, Dr. Auber."

Then, to my extreme surprise, Miss Silverstar leaned over and planted a soft kiss on Blaise's left cheek. Baudoin gasped. My eyebrows shot up as Miss Silverstar smiled, smug as a cat with a bellyful of cream, and sauntered from the room. Blaise watched her go, his face a sweet, blank, besotted mask.

"Blaise Auber!" I protested, hitting him on the arm. "What was that?!"

He smiled at me, starry-eyed. "I do believe she kissed me."

"I do believe I am going to tell mother," Baudoin said, gleefully.