Political Socialisation

Harry and Hermione caught up with Susan Bones after Charms Wednesday afternoon.

'Hey, Susan,' Hermione called after her. She turned around. 'Can we talk?'

Susan turned around. 'Yeah, sure. Where?'

'Follow us, please.'

Harry and Hermione led Susan up to the Room of Requirement. 'I've never seen this room before,' Susan remarked when they entered.

'That's because it only shows up when the seeker has a need,' Hermione explained. 'Such as we do right now.'

Susan nodded, looking impressed. 'Aunt Amelia told me that you were going to talk to me,' she said.

'That's right,' Harry replied. 'We offered to do her a…favour.'

'What is it?'

'Well…she's asked us to keep an eye on you,' Harry muttered.

Susan looked confused. 'Keep an eye on me? But why?'

Harry took a deep breath. 'We think…and your Aunt thinks, too…that Voldemort is coming back soon.'

'You-Know-Who?' Susan gasped, wincing a little at Voldemort's name. 'Returning?'

Harry nodded. 'He's growing stronger. I…I can tell…it's difficult to explain. We're not the only ones who think that he'll return soon. Dumbledore thinks so, too.'

Susan gulped. 'And my Aunt thinks that if he comes back…'

'That Voldemort's people might come after you,' Harry finished. 'Because of who she is.'

Susan blanched. 'What did she want you to do, then?' she demanded.

'As I said, your aunt wanted us to keep an eye on you.'

'How?'

'Well, we can either…watch over you…and leave you mostly alone,' Harry posited.

'Or?' Susan pressed.

'Or we can…have you join us,' Harry finished.

'Join you?' Susan asked, looking confused. 'For what?'

Hermione cleared her throat. 'Uh…we need you to make a magical vow,' she said tentatively. 'We can tell you, but you have to promise to keep it an absolute secret?'

Susan frowned. 'Why?'

Harry and Hermione exchanged a look, and Harry gave her a little nod.

'We can offer to…train you,' Hermione answered carefully. 'If Voldemort is coming back soon, then…it'd be important that we could fight back.'

'Don't we learn to do that in Defence Against the Dark Arts?'

'What…Moody…is teaching you…it won't be enough if things get to the point they went to during the…previous war,' Hermione replied.

'But wouldn't the Aurors be able to handle that?' Susan asked sceptically.

'But how about in the time it takes for the Aurors to arrive?' Harry countered. 'How will you defend yourself then? You know that you could be a target. Your aunt knows. We know. It could be an important skill that'll save your life.'

'Why the magical vow, then?' Susan asked. 'I mean…I like the idea, but why does it have to be so secretive?'

Harry and Hermione exchanged another look, communicating silently. This time, it was Hermione who gave a tiny nod.

'Because we're not stopping at Expelliarmus or Protego,' Harry replied carefully.

Susan's eyes widened in comprehension. 'You want to teach potentially deadly spells.'