Allegiances

Severus watched as the four teens left the room, Minerva and Filius following them to fetch Pomona. He reached into his cupboard and pulled out a vial of Draught of Living Death and tipped it all into the idiot Weasley's mouth. He would be asleep until the next morning, at least. Severus conjured some ropes and bound him for good measure.

He sat down and buried his face in his palms. Potter really was Lily's son. Severus could no longer deny it to himself. Lily had always done what was right. When he looked into Potter's eyes, he no longer saw just the arrogant bell-end James Potter, but also more and more of Lily.

He had her eyes.

Severus hated control with a passion. Love potions, the Imperius Curse, or whatever Albus was doing. Lily had once nearly suffered the same fate that Potter and Granger were due to suffer at Albus and Weasley's hands.

Severus walked into the Great Hall at breakfast to the usual jeering and taunting. He passed by the Gryffindor table. Lily always waved him good morning. It was the highlight of his day. He could ignore Potter and Black's torment if Lily even waved to him.

But today, she did not. She hardly even noticed him. Instead, her eyes were trained on that absolute wanker McLaggen, sitting at the opposite end of the Gryffindor table with a smug look on his face.

'Good morning, Lily,' Severus greeted. Lily turned around and faced him, but instead of a smile, she wore a cold and stony expression.

'What the hell are you doing here, Snivellus?' she sneered, 'Run along to your own table with your slimy snakes.'

Severus took several steps back. 'Lily? What's wrong?'

'What's wrong?' she spat, 'You! You're foul, loathsome, and disgusting! Nobody in their right mind should even talk to you!'

Severus felt stung. Inexplicably, his eyes began dampening. 'Lily, I thought we were friends. We've known each other since before Hogwarts! We've been here more than three years and you've never been like that to me. What's with you today?'

'Like hell we are!' Lily shot back, looking furious, 'I've made a mistake for four straight years! Why should I bother with you when there's McLaggen?' Her expression softened at once. 'Handsome…athletic… Rich. Everything you're not, Snape!'

Severus was not one of the top students in his year for no reason. He understood immediately why Lily was acting the way she was. The arse had dosed Lily with an incredibly strong love potion keyed to him, and possibly some sort of potion that induced hatred towards Severus himself. He drew his wand discreetly. Luckily, no other students were sitting nearby, and it was boisterously loud as usual in the Great Hall. He was safe. He was not going to be overheard.

Sorry, Lily, he thought, But I have to do this.

He pointed his wand at Lily. She looked like she was about to shout in protest, but before she could, Severus had muttered, 'Imperio.' He prayed that Lily would forgive him for the transgression.

The Imperius Curse took effect at once, overriding the love potion. He commanded Lily to follow him. He led down into the Potions classroom in the dungeons. Slughorn was still at breakfast. He needed to be quick.

Severus bade Lily to sit down and began pulling ingredients from the store-cupboard. He made the antidote to the love potion in less than ten minutes. It was sloppier than his usual work, but speed was more important than quality now. Just for good measure, he also whipped up a broad-spectrum antidote to all mind-altering potions. If the hatred potion was weak, then that would be enough to counteract its effects.

He placed the two goblets in front of Lily and ordered her to drink through the Imperius Curse. Lily obediently downed the love potion antidote first before drinking the broad-spectrum antidote, as well. The instant the second goblet was empty, Severus lifted his Imperius.