:: Part 15 ::

It's been about 6 months since my last update. Life gets in the way obviously, but truly, I haven't wanted to get to the point where I felt I could be done with my version of this story.  But alas, here we are. I'm contemplating a different story, maybe something original, next. Maybe I'll retell another of Ms. Clare's stories. Please tell me how you liked everything I've written so far, and maybe a story you'd like to read.  Thanks for reading, for sharing, and for all your comments!!

Jem felt in a way as if his senses were being overloaded, but he could not deny it felt invigorating to be in New York City as it was now. Automobiles and lighted signs advertising apparel and food items were everywhere he looked. He heard the honking of horns, people carrying conversations, street merchants calling to catch the attention of passersby, and the vibration of the life around him reverberated in a soft hum. Life was bustling around him but his attention was focused on only one thing; the sensation of a hand in his, the lightness of the touch, but the strength behind the fingers entwined with his.

He looked over and smiled at the woman standing next to him, her head rested on his shoulder as she looked up to the top of the tallest building he had ever seen. Tessa turned her face toward him and he smile on her face beamed with light and everything good in the world. There was a youthful playfulness there, and an enthusiasm for all that life was presenting them with and the opportunity for them to share in the exploration. Each new day an adventure waiting to unfold.

The invitation had made its way to Tessa shortly after they had met each other on the Bridge in London; a wedding invitation from Jocelyn Fray and Luke Garroway. Tessa was very close to Jocelyn, and Jem could tell instantaneously that Tessa wanted to attend the wedding.

So, here they were, in New York City on their way to Luke's property in the country to attend a wedding and reception. It was their first public outing together since Jem's transformation, and he was slightly nervous. He squeezed Tessa's hand and leaned in to kiss her, once slowly and deeply. He felt bolstered, stronger, with her by his side. He had helped fight an army of dark Shadowhunters, clockwork soldiers and come out the other side, what dangers could a wedding present that he had not already faced? He laughed inwardly at his nervousness, such a human emotion.

The wedding ceremony itself was beautifully simple. Goldenrods, cattails, and wildflowers were placed throughout the old barn that smelled rustic and earthy in the best of ways. Jem could sense the happiness in the room, and it was infectious. From what Tessa had told him, this affair had been a long time coming, and the anticipation wafted through the air with the sweet aroma of the wildflowers. Tessa leaned into him, as the vows were exchanged and whispered the words of commitment in his ear. A smile broke across his face and he stole a kiss and whispered his own, "I love you".

They did not venture to the large white tent where the main reception was being held until some time following the ceremony's conclusion. Tessa wanted a moment to catch Jocelyn's attention, bid her well wishes, and ask a favor of the woman she had helped so long ago in Magnus' apartment.

"Tessa! You were able to make it after all, I can't tell you how happy I am to see you." Jocelyn beamed, and Jem was able to see were Clary's fiery disposition came from. While Jocelyn was wrapping Tessa in a fierce embrace, Jem shook Luke's hand and offered his congratulations.

"Yes, of course I made it. Even an army of Endarkened could not keep me such a long awaited occasion. It was an absolutely beautiful ceremony, Jocelyn." Tessa said, sincerely. " I do, want to ask what may seem like the smallest of favors, but it would mean the world to both of us," she said sweetly, reaching out for Jem's hand and giving it the lightest of squeezes Jem knew was meant to embolden her as reassure him.