CHAPTER-5

CHAPTER-5

THE INVESTIGATION

Boulder police initially focused almost exclusively upon John and Patsy, but by October 1997 had over 1,600 people in their index of the case.

Errors that were made in the initial investigation complicated the investigation and the applicable theory. Those errors included loss and contamination of evidence, lack of experienced and technical staff on the investigation, evidence shared with the Ramseys, and delayed informal interviews with the parents.

Lou Smit was a detective who came out of retirement in early 1997 to assist the Boulder County's office with the case. In May 1998, he presented his findings to the Boulder police with other staff members of the DA's Office, concluding that the evidence pointed away from the Ramseys.

Two of the lead investigators in the case had opposing views. Both Lou Smit and Steve Thomas ultimately resigned – Smit because he believed that the investigation had incompetently overlooked the intruder hypothesis, and Thomas because the DA's office had interfered with and failed to support the police investigation of the case. (Like why bruh?)

Mary Lacy, the next Boulder County District Attorney, took over the investigation from the police on December 26, 2002. In April 2003, she agreed with a federal judge who sat on a 2002 case that evidence in the suit is "more consistent with a theory that an intruder murdered JonBenét than it was with a theory that Mrs. Ramsey did".

On February 2, 2009, Boulder police chief Mark Beckner announced that Stan Garnett, the new Boulder County District Attorney, was turning the case over to his agency and that his team would resume investigating it. Garnett found that the statutes of limitations crimes for the crimes identified in the 1999 grand jury true bill had expired, and did not pursue review of the case against the Ramseys. (basically, the maximum time between which legal actions can take place had expired)

In October 2010, the Boulder police reopened the cold case. New interviews were conducted following a fresh inquiry by a committee that included state and federal investigators. Police were expected to use the latest DNA technology in their investigation. There was no new information gleaned from those interviews. It was reported in September 2016 that the investigation into JonBenét's death continues to be an active homicide case, per Boulder Police Chief Greg Testa.

-----------------

So, send me your theories. What do you feel happened? 

I feel like Jughead for some reason. Anyways, I hope y'all are safe.