1.7

Ominous clouds rolled over the once beautiful bright sky, foreshadowing a future that didn't look too hopeful to anyone that caught sight of them. Heavy and grey, they trapped the hospital in a cage, pelting rain onto the pavement below in a colossal downfall. The occupants of the building would gaze into the growing abyss outside, some finding the sound of rain pattering on the windows as serene and comfortable, but not for Dream.

All Dream could hear was the rumbling thunder in the atmosphere, shaking his nerves and wracking him in an unbearable panic which served no mercy. Lightening would only make him jump now and then, cursing himself for how skittish he was being. He currently sat outside of room 143, head in one hand as the other held his phone to his ear.

"When are you going to be here, Niki?" He asked, holding back sobs so much that an insufferable lump began to form in his throat. "I need you here - I can't deal with facing this alone."

Niki, who was currently wading through traffic in her tiny yellow beetle, hummed thoughtfully along to Dreams words, trying her best to keep her usual soft voice in order to lower the tension over the call. Usually this wouldn't be such an unfeasible task if it wasn't for her own concerns for George in that moment. "Don't worry, I'll be there soon! In the meantime, you should ask the doctors about his condition. I'm sure he's fine and they'll let you know that," She explained, truth evident in her tone, yet it still could not ease the blondes conscious mind.

Green eyes fixated on the door across the hallway, he sighed, picking up his dragging form to finally stand on his feet. "Okay, if you say so, Niki..." He murmured, uncertain of what sort of response he'll get from the doctors when he asks about George's condition.

Niki smiled, although Dream couldn't see it, and pressed on the gas as soon as the red light in front of her turned green. "It will be okay, I promise. I have to go now, but I'll be there soon, okay?" She let him know, Dream murmuring a small 'okay' and 'thank you' in response.

Seconds later, the boy hung up first, slipping his mobile into his jean pocket as he began an internal conflict with himself.

Should he ask the doctors now? Or should he wait for them to approach him first?

---

Turns out, Dream's a pussy. He did not ask the doctors about anything out of fear of what the answer might be. So - like a true, courageous gentleman - he waited for them to make the first move, which turned out to be 2 hours later (with Niki arriving just on time).

"I'm sorry I'm so late! The parking here is awful," she huffed out, trying to catch her breath as she stood just to the side of Dream and a random doctor who they do not yet know the name of. The blonde friend only nodded, chewing his bottom lip as he could honestly care less if Niki was hours late or not.

All he could think about, at this moment, was how George was.

Luckily the doctor could practically feel the anxiety radiating off the boy, and so didn't waste time in filling him in on all of the details.

"Your friend-"

"Boyfriend."

Niki gave Dream a weird look, the boy blushing furiously when he realised that he had said that out-loud.

The doctor decided to continue, not thinking much of the interruption:

"Right, sorry... Boyfriend. He's in critical condition," That's the last thing Dream wanted to hear. "It seems he's been dealing with spring fever for months now without proper treatment. His vital signs show a certain lack in his diet and sleep, which isn't ideal at all. Especially since you informed me that he has not been taking suitable medicine, either."