1.9

It had taken months before George had finally recovered.

He had opened his eyes on the 4th of October, barely even groaning from the pain in his back when Dream had practically jumped on him, arms enveloping his weak body in one of the tightest hugs George had ever experienced.

He squeaked, quickly patting his friends back and whispering for him to let go so he could finally breathe.

"Sorry, George-" Dream apologised, pulling away with the biggest grin on his face, eyes tearing up. "It's just- you're awake! Niki! He's awake!"

George turned to look to his right, catching sight of the girl he had met the night of the fall out, a relieved look on her face:

That party reminded George of something.

"OW! Why did you pinch me?!" The blonde half-yelled beside him, making the brunette raise a brow.

"I think it's the least you deserve for believing a furry over me," George half-joked, making Niki bark out laughter and Dream stare at his best friend with his mouth hung open, a surprised expression on his face.

"Where- where did that come from?" George rolled his eyes, pushing his weight onto his two hands to pull himself up, into a comfortable seated position.

"You honestly can't tell me you're that blind - did you not see that family picture in his house where he was wearing fox ears?" Niki nodded in confirmation of George's statement, the two of them sharing a knowing look as Dream still sat there, unmoving and just utterly confused.

Probably confused as to how he hadn't noticed that picture before, George assumed.

A comforting aura took over both George and Niki, but refused to meet with Dream, and George wondered why (although, deep down, he kind of knew why).

The blonde boy sighed, fiddling with his hands and almost having to collect every ounce of courage he had in his body in order to speak his thoughts in that moment. Both his friends, George and Niki, waited patiently for him, knowing how hard it must be to own up to this.

"I think- no, I know. I know I owe you an apology, as many as I can give you," He began to own up, trying his best to keep eye-contact with the brunette across from him. "I know I've said it countless of times whilst you've not been able to move, so I promised myself that I would tell you again when you're fully conscious."

George nodded as a go-ahead.

"I'm so sorry, and I know I will be forever. Everything I put you through, everything you had to endure because of my recklessness and lack of judgement is almost sickening." Dream glanced over the hospital room they were in. "I mean - it is sickening." 

His friend laughed lightly at that, followed by Niki having to hold back a few giggles herself.

It reassured Dream that his apology was making a difference, feeling closer and closer to the friendship he once had with his best friend, that he hoped would turn into something more in the near future.

Dream began to daydream then, listening intently as his friend forgave him and watched in utter fascination as he witnessed the wallflower he had known for so many years finally open up to someone other than himself. His mind wandered back years, years upon years of all the memories he had accumulated with the brunette all that time ago. He recalled the bench that the boy used to reside on every break-time when they were younger, and how the brunette would raise a brow at him when he turned up with more bruises.