Chapter One (2): A New Assignment

NATASHA ROMANOFF woke up to a very good day, Or at least her definition of one, because Natasha rarely ever got actual good days.

Today, she considered a good day, because nothing went wrong so far today. Lorna had time and she spent the morning training with Lorna, and playing games with Pietro, running around, strategizing with his sister to catch the quick kid. They would hop over bushes and maneuver through things that they had thrown onto the ground in their attempt to catch Peter.

Eventually, Natasha had thought up something as she was dodging a falling armored dummy that the knights used for practice because the game of tag had reached over here. Lorna wasn’t as fast as Natasha nor Peter, so she had resorted to using her smarts to predict where Peter would start running and run there before Peter made it and Natasha would just chase him head on, changing directions every so often and calming her breath.

Playing tag was honestly a great way to improve her stamina and she was one of the few people that could play with Peter for long periods of time so it was a win-win for both of them.

Natasha looked at Lorna, who was close to catching Peter, and when she missed, Natasha stepped onto the table that the knights were using, disrupting their game of cards, and she hopped over the green bushes that acted as a wall and caught Pietro and Lorna as she landed, hand on their wrists.

“Agh-- I lost again” Peter whined, staring at Natasha’s arm around his wrist, he took off his goggles, cleaning off the dust that had gotten onto it. “This should be impossible. I’m faster than everyone”

“And also dumber” Lorna muttered

“Lorna” Natasha warned

“What? I didn’t say anything”

“We made a mess” Peter reminded, staring at the obviously ransacked training field, at the knights that stepped close to the wall to avoid being a part of their inhuman game of tag, and the maids that were cleaning up since the game had already ended and they could finally approach and clean the mess safely.

“Well, then let’s help them”

“Are you gonna stay?” Lorna asked, looking to the side, trying to seem like she didn’t care if Natasha did. Other than the fact that Natasha was a spy skilled in noticing when someone was lying, Natasha easily noticed because Lorna was terrible at hiding things like her emotions.

“Yeah” Natasha answered, and Lorna nearly rejoiced - or so her body language screamed.

In the meanwhile, Peter put on his goggles and ran around, lifting everything that Lorna and Natasha had knocked down during their fast game of tag, Natasha turned to Lorna. “Who’s Pietro, Lorna?”

“Him” Lorna answered, Natasha asked this every day she was with Lorna, and every day, her answer was the same. Natasha was somewhat elated due to the fact that Lorna had stopped asking questions right back to her like she used to back then.

“And where is Andy?” Natasha picked up a fallen chair and placed it upright again.

“I don’t know where she went. Maybe she’s in some boarding school and I just don’t remember her telling me”

“Are you sure she’s not dead?”

“I don’t know of anyone who could kill someone like her”