Part 17: The Five Stages Of Grief

I waited a while before walking out.
Alcina had told me, strictly ordered me, not to come out until she had finished. Not until she came in and told me it was safe.

She'd genuinely sworn on her word. She would not ever let me die at the hands of Ethan Winters.

But little did I know, she was sworn on saving my life, but in the process forgot about hers.

It was getting late, and it'd been about a day since I'd seen Alcina. I didn't question it until the sky behind the clouds began to go dark, and the world slipped from day till night. Eventually, I got tired. I decided to take matters into my own hands, walking outside to the drawbridge, now raised to try and keep Ethan away, clearly raised too late.

There, I came across him once again.

Ethan Winters. Stood, holding an M1897, a familiar look on his face.

Guilt.
But this time, it seemed so much more severe.

"Ethan?" I called, as he turned to me.
My mind jumped to a conclusion instantly.
"Where is she?"

No reply.
"Ethan, where is Alcina?'

He shook his head, not looking at me.

"I'm so sorry."
Dimitrescu had always lectured me about how grief comes in five stages.

Denial.

"No," I laughed, smiling, shaking my head rather violently.

"Stop joking around, Ethan. Where is she actually?"
"I already told you, right behind me. She turned to dust and became a weird crystal thing, which I have on me."
Anger.

As I realized, he was being serious.

"You killed her? Oh yeah, just like the others. Save your kid, kill everyone else in the process. I struggled, was put through so much pain for a whole two years, for what?"
"I already told you, I'm sorry,"

"FOR WHAT, ETHAN? FOR YOUR KID? YOUR DEAD DAUGHTER?"

I pulled out my magnum, aiming for his head.
"She's not dead!"
"WELL, I SURE HOPE SHE IS!"
Ethan aimed his shotgun at me, shouting "Put the gun down!"

"NO, I'M NOT GOING TO!"
"Listen here, I'm gonna be brutally honest, I really don't care about your life back there. I'm saving my family, grabbing my shit, then leaving this hell hole. Do you think you have it bad?? My wife was shot in front of me...fourteen GODDAMN TIMES!

"I- YOU JUST SHOT MINE LIKE ONE THOUSAND TIMES!"

"Oh boo hoo, get a grip. She attacked me first, she dealt with the consequences."

I just scoffed, shaking my head, promising myself this would be okay.

But then, two at once.
Bargaining, and depression.

"I have... nothing. It's all gone. What was the point in all the suffering?"
I looked at the gun, playing with it for a second.
"If I'd have just killed you the first time, Alcina would still be here..."
Then, I put it against my head.

"I suggest you look away. This stuff is sort of traumatic to witness."

"Fiora, no."

Then, I pulled the trigger, not giving him any time to look away.

But I heard not the loud bang of a bullet, but the thumb of metal against flesh.

The murderer had put his finger between the hammer and the gun, not allowing it to shoot.

Not allowing it to end. Not allowing this pain to end.

"Please, just- please let me do this,"

"No. Let's get out of this together."

"No, I-"

I sighed, lowering the gun.

"Fine,"

Then I did something... abnormal. On instinct, perhaps. My body moving on it's own.

I handed him the gun, emptying my pockets of any ammo, anything that could've hurt me.

"What are you doing?"

"Just- just go. Good luck finding your daughter."

Ethan sighed, nodding his head.

"Right. Good luck surviving out there"

"Thank you..I have some friends who can help me out,"

"Lucky. Do you know where I go from here?"

"Just keep walking. You'll get to the village eventually."

"Okay. Thank you for everything... I'm sorry,"

"Just fuck off, please."

-----------------------------

might be a wait since I'm on holiday but still wanted to post :) 

nrly 3K???? how??? ty all for the support!!!