chapter three: the tale of the moth and the flame

CHAPTER THREE: THE TALE OF THE MOTH AND THE FLAME

THE NEXT MORNING, SPECIFICALLY EIGHT AM, MIRA IMMEDIATELY FELT SICK. Not only did the younger Potter have Marlene to deal with (and her constant conspiracies about her supposed boyfriend), but as of now, Lily was the bigger problem — at least her feelings towards Lily were the issue.

Scratch that, Mira did not have anything feelings. None whatsoever. Nope. Absolutely not!

Her mind couldn't stop buzzing. It grew to the point where she couldn't sleep. Her heart thumped so loudly in her chest, she was sure her other dorm mates could've heard it from a mile away.

She almost kissed Lily. Almost. Their faces were inches apart, a fraction of a second away from leaning in.

Maybe, if Lily hadn't pulled away or suggested that they go to bed, Mira would've closed the gap that separated them. Maybe, Mira's Gryffindor-like impulse would suddenly give her courage to do what her brainly wanted her to do.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.

Her mind had been plagued by "what ifs" for literal hours. All night, she tossed and turned, unable to sleep. She couldn't stop her brain from thinking of everything that happened in the common room last night. Or more like what could have happened.

However, the cold, hard truth is, Mira is not brave, or impulsive, or fearless; that was all James. He is the one who doesn't care what people think. He is the one has the confidence and bravery to do the unthinkable. Even if it killed him, James would be the one who would step-up.

Not Mira.

Even if Mira and James had once shared a womb and the same DNA, they were nothing alike. James was outgoing, a loud mouth. Meanwhile, Mira kept her head down.

Was she even a real Gryffindor? It never felt like it

Sometimes she truly wondered what the sorting hat saw in her. Why would that fucking hat place her in a house about courage when she barely had the courage to bridge the gap between her and Lily. (Not that she would kiss another girl, no...but if she was a boy, maybe there'd be a part of her that would kiss Lily. Or at least be interested in the redhead.)

But it didn't matter, the fearful Gryffindor had little time to think about why the sorting hat put her in Gryffindor or even Lily Evans. She had class; Potions, aka literal hell. It wasn't that she hated the class itself. In fact, potions came pretty easily to her, unlike it did for James.

Rather, the people, the Slytherins, were the problem. The Potions classroom mostly contained Slytherins and she absolutely loathed it. Maybe it was due to her being the twin sister of the infamous James Potter, or how close she was with Sirius, possibly both. Either way, the house of the snake painted a bright, red target on her back and this paint was permanent no matter how hard she tried to wash it off.