Chapter 3

"MOM! DAD! WE SAW A ROBBER GET HIT IN THE HEAD BY A WA--"

Jamie yelled as soon as she sprinted through the door, but her brother abruptly cut her off. "We have the groceries, mom!"

"Oh, good to know, kids! Bring them to the kitchen!" She called from the second-floor balcony. Quint did as they were told, leading them to the kitchen.

The kids had come home once the police they called from the cashier's landline arrived and dragged the comatose burglar away, still bringing the food they bought with their mother's money. Though, Quint may have started having second thoughts about this neighborhood.

At least the cashier was so mystified that he gave the kids a partial discount for everything they bought. Quint wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly just started believing in God.

"Why'd you cut me off?" Jamie side-eyed him as they sat beside a kitchen island on high stools, Quint setting the bags down on the counter.

"I don't wanna scare mom and dad," Quint explained to her, "You know how they get."

"Yeah..." She murmured in agreement, "But the watermelon move was really cool, don't you think?!"

"Honestly... it was."

"Who do you think threw it?" She asked. "I dunno..." Quint mumbled, "But thank god for them."

***

About half an hour later, Quint was sitting at the dinner table with his family at 6:20 PM. His mother had cooked up the six-pound chicken they brought home from the robbed grocery store, and no, the couple still had no idea what happened to their kids.

"Hey, dad," Quint boredly addressed him, "Was this house owned by anyone?"

"Ah, I think it was by the Fletchers before us," Mr. Andrew nodded, then lowered his head with a smile and his voice to a chilling tone, "Two years ago."

"OoOoOoO," He mocked the wail of classic ghosts, his wife and daughter laughing in response. Quint scoffed and snickered at his terribly corny dad, crossing his arms as he leaned back. Jokes aside, this was interesting to know. Who knows, maybe he might need this information soon.

Then the lights flickered, causing the family's laughter to cease. Jamie watched the lightbulb above them switch on and off, whimpering as she sank under the table.

"No, no, sweetie," Mrs. Andrews noticed this, trying to calm her, "It's okay. Something is just wrong with the lights."

Quint looked around, trying to ignore this strange event. Suddenly he caught the glimpse of a tall black silhouette outside the kitchen. Being paranoid at times, Quint was startled, before realizing that it was a tall coat rack that they stationed there earlier. He sighed in relief. As if on cue, the electric dysfunctions ceased and the lights were back to normal.

"Strange," His father commented, "I'll have a look at that tomorrow."

"Maybe we should..." Mrs. Andrews agreed, "Well, we'll take the dishes, kids. You can go up to your rooms now. It'll be very empty though, since we didn't have time to deck out the house in one day."

"Got it," Quint nodded, standing up, then gestured for his sister to come. Jamie followed him out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

"Your room's at the far back over there," He pointed at the last door at the end of the balcony. Jamie nodded, skipping off to her supposed bedroom, "Night, Quint!"

"Goodnight," Quint waved after her, then walked to his own bedroom, which was to the door right beside him. It looked as his mother suggested, very empty. But so long as it was comfortable. Quint didn't want to go to sleep yet, deciding he hadn't seen certain areas in the house, like the garage, or even the backyard. He closed the door behind him, trotting back towards the staircase with his hands stuffed in his jacket pockets.