Chapter 13

Quint suddenly woke up to the sound of someone's terrified screams in the middle of the night, he rubbed his eyes and looked in the direction where he thought he'd heard it, and realized it was not coming from anywhere inside the house, but coming from outside his window. More noises followed, like noises coming from the screaming girl, and objects breaking.

The teenager figured it was coming from the Hansens' home, quickly getting up and fighting the drowsiness from having just woken up. He ran straight into... a yet-again locked door. Though Quint didn't need to unlock it himself, as the door opened on its own.

He nodded his thanks to Scott and sped off, stepping down the stairs as quietly and quickly as he could. Quint grabbed a pair of laceless rubber shoes, loosely slipped them on, and opened the door, which presumably had also been unlocked by Scott. He had never thought he'd be running to his neighbor's house this urgently before, completely consumed by worry and concern.

Quint finally got there, noting the front door seemed forcibly opened. He cautiously walked in, seeing a man holding a knife standing by the couch. His heart sunk even more as he realized he hadn't even brought any weapon in defense.

The teenager spotted someone hiding behind a wide television. She had a lavender sweater and a black headband. He recognized the pre-teen girl as Gwenola Hansen, the sassy girl who had been present earlier in the day at the argument that broke out in the middle of the street. Instead of a tough young woman, she was more of a frightened deer paralyzed by headlights. She was scared for a good reason, a guy just broke into her house.

Then the crazed man turned around, revealing his equally terrified expression as he stared at Quint. Why he broke into the Hansens', Quint didn't want to know just yet.

"Hey... we can talk this out, okay?" He played calm first. Though he didn't want to take too many chances, he held onto an umbrella from a coat rack just in case.

The other man's arms went limp, almost dropping the knife. He wrapped one arm around his eyes and clenched his teeth as if he was about to have a breakdown. His grip on his knife tightened once more.

Quint grabbed the umbrella as the guy sped maniacally at him, but he hadn't been able to interfere quick enough. He yelled out loud as he felt the knife graze his face, after which he smacked the guy aside with the umbrella. He darted past him and stood behind the couch, pointing the umbrella at him and panting with his other hand on his wound. Mentally-ill is what Quint assumed this guy truly was, he just wasn't sure what malicious disorder was driving him to do this.

Then the guy got up and came at him with the knife again, radiating pure rage. The terrified teenager opened up the umbrella on impulse, letting the ill man stab into the umbrella's roof. He shoved the guy back with the umbrella, panting.

The lights flickered slightly as a book came flying into his head. The intruder yelled in pain and shock from the sudden throw. Quint used this distraction and hit him again with the umbrella, closed again. This sent him stumbling backward. He then turned towards Gwen, who still was huddled there behind the television. "Run over to the front door, I'll distract him!" Quint told her.

"Okay, but don't die a hero, you manic teen!" She warned, carefully getting up.

The older of the two pulled the younger as they headed towards the door, the man starting to recover from the dual blows. They froze as he came barreling at them. But something else collided into him as if it had just come straight out of the wall. The lights began flickering again, but the malfunction lasted even longer. The intruder's new opponent was a familiar boy, nearly 6 feet. He had overgrown blonde hair and unlike in the drawing, he was wearing the blue plaid jacket instead of wearing it around his waist.