- - 1 - -

- - chapter one - - fading away

- - chapter one - -
fading away

The Wizarding War was over, it had been over for two months but the wounds hadn't healed and the pain wasn't over. Even though good had won and the Dark Lord had been killed, not everyone had come out of the battle stronger. Lives had been lost, innocent lives had been lost and nothing would ever replace the friends, the family and the loved ones that had been lost. They would never be forgotten, they fought bravely and their sacrifice would be remembered but this didn't help the grieving of the people who had lost someone dear to them. For muggles, not much had changed; when the war was taking place, people had felt cold and distant, knowing that something was wrong but they had no idea of the battle where so many powerful wizards and witches lost their lives. They had no idea of the sacrifice made to keep everyone safe, and they had no way of ever knowing.

The Weasley family were considered lucky, in the sense that they hadn't lost more people and were trying to carry on with their lives as normal as possible; but even for such a positive family, there was a dark cloud looming over their heads. Most of the clan had returned to normal life, Ginny was preparing to go back to Hogwarts for her final year and Charlie returned to Romania to continue his work. Arthur and Molly tried desperately to keep their family together, but after losing one of its members, that was harder than they had thought. Everyone was struggling with the death of Fred Weasley, no one had expected it and that was why it had been so tough. The person struggling more than anyone else was George, he had lost his other half and didn't know what to do with himself. It had been two months since his brother died, two months of grieving and two months of not leaving his flat. The only time he left was to attend the funeral and then he headed straight back, not talking to anyone because they didn't understand the loss that he was experiencing.

Molly was desperate to help her son, she didn't want him to live in this grieving circle for the rest of his life; he was so young and still had so many things to look forward to. Only now, he had to look forward to things without Fred and she knew it was difficult, but he needed to do it. The sooner the better because the longer that he grieved like this, the harder it would be to get him on the mend. She had already lost one of her sons and she didn't want to lose another. Molly brainstormed ideas of how she could get her son out of his flat, thinking of reasons that she could convince him to go outside and interact with new people. No one else understood how he was feeling, she knew that, but he needed to get back into the real world before he grew accustomed to never leaving his flat.

Her brilliant idea came as she was planning her week, something that she was able to do now that most of her children had moved out of their home; she had more free time and that also meant more free time to help George. Every week she had been ordering flowers to be placed on Fred's grave, hoping that the blossoming plants would help make the grave look less tired and sad. She had been ordering these flowers for two months now, ever since the funeral and every time she had had them delivered by the shop, to the grave. Instead, this week she had a different idea and she headed over to the flat so that she could get George out of his comfort zone.

"Mum?" He looked surprised when the fireplace lit up in green smoke and revealed Molly, covered in soot and stood in the living room. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to see you. When was the last time you cleaned the fireplace? It smells awful in here."

He scratched the back of his head and took a seat on the tattered sofa. "I'm not sure."

"No matter, that's not why I came here." Molly dropped her handbag onto the coffee table and took a seat next to her son on the sofa, seeming more serious than usual and that freaked him out slightly.

"Why did you come here?"

"I need you to run a few errands for me."

George narrowed his eyes at her. "Why can't you do them?"

"I'm busy, I have to help Minerva with the upkeep of the castle before the students return after summer. There's a lot to do, which is why I need you to send this letter to Percy, buy some new robes for Ron's first day in the ministry, pick up the flowers for Fred's grave and drop this jumper to the Lupin's house, I made a slightly bigger one to fit Teddy because he grew out of the last one."

"Wait, why do I have to pick up the flowers? I thought you've been getting them delivered?"

Molly shook her head and hoped that her son wouldn't catch her out on the lie she was about to tell him; she hated lying to him, but she knew it was for his own good and she desperately wanted to help. "They've stopped doing deliveries, must be too busy for that kind of thing."

George was battling his own conscience in his head, not knowing how he was going to approach this list of errands. He didn't want to do it, that was the plain truth because doing it would mean, going into town and seeing all those people who would stop him and console him for his loss. That wasn't what he wanted, he didn't want strangers telling him how to grieve and how to feel better. That was why he had been stuck in his flat for weeks, because this was what he was avoiding. However, he also knew that he couldn't let his mum down; out of everyone in the family, she was the only person who understood what he was going through. Everyone else had lost a brother, and that was hard but they were carrying on with their lives as though nothing had happened. George had lost his other half, something that he would never get over and he wasn't ready to carry on with his life.

One look at his mum's tired and gloomy face, and he knew that he had to help because he hated to see her disappointed. He was the only child that she was worrying about, because the rest of them seemed fine to carry on with their lives as if Fred had never even existed. They were all working their high-end jobs and flashing their own families in his face; George was stuck living in the flat above the shop by himself. Sure, Angelina had been over a few times to try and cheer him up, but those sessions had just been him sitting through her crying and hoping that she wouldn't stay long as he'd rather be alone. Knowing that he had no choice in completing the errands, he nodded and took the written list out of her hands. And even though it wasn't a huge step, Molly could already feel the cloud over her head brightening because this was something lifechanging and she could see how impactful this change would be for him.

"Thank you, George. Oh, and I've written the address of the shops on the back because not all of them are in Diagon Alley."

He frowned, because that would mean he was going to have to do more travelling than he wanted. "What do you mean?"

"Well, the florist is on a muggle road; owned by muggles but I chose their shop because it's closest to the cemetery and it won't take you long to put the flowers down and travel back here."

As much as George wanted to refuse the task, he couldn't and agreed that it was fine. He grabbed his coat off the coatrack and took a deep breath before apparating to the first shop on the list.

a/n: not a very long chapter but just something to introduce george 🤩 -lizzie ⭐️

date published: 13/08/21