- - 28 - -

- - chapter twenty eight - - i'd die for your love

i'd die for your love

Unluckily, word did travel fast at these events and Polly knew that there was a Weasley attending the event. She was furious because the entire evening was supposed to be about her family and how perfectly normal, they were and yet, her daughter had invited a wizard into the ballroom. She pushed away her feelings, knowing that she couldn't overreact because she had something up her sleeve which would make her feel ten times better about everything. She knew that something would happen that would throw her off-course and that was why she was keeping another trick up her sleeve, to use it just when everyone thought things were going to plan. More than once, her eyes were drawn to the red-headed wizard that had taken a comfortable position next to her mother, the old woman was foolish to be stood with him but probably had no idea what he was or how intolerant Polly would be if she spoke to him.

The Parker family were called to the front of the ballroom, stood at the edge of the stage because this was the part of the evening where the mayor would deliver a speech about the chosen charity and would reveal how much money had been raised during the event. James had the biggest smile on his face as he watched everyone gather around the stage for the speech, drinking his champagne a lot faster than he should be but he needed a drink to keep him going. Indigo was sinking as far back as possible, not wanting to be stood with her family and trying to blend in with the curtains that were hung behind the stage. Frank was busy waving to some of the guests, flashing his brilliant white smile and pretending that everything was fine despite the awkward tension between his family and Polly slowly made her way onto the stage, just to make the announcement for her husband to give his speech.

"Ladies and gentlemen, your beloved mayor, Mr Frank Parker." Polly said through the microphone before stepping down from the stage and kissing her husband on the cheek, applauding for him as he made his way towards the podium.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, it is my pleasure to be with you all tonight. Not only am I a massive fan of charity but it is clear from the donations made that you are all kind donators yourselves. I believe that I am very fortunate, I have a nice house, I have a beautiful wife and two healthy intelligent children. When you have a position that I have, it is important to ensure that you are constantly giving back to your community." He paused and the audience clapped politely at his statement, playing the same game that they all played; where they pretended to be gracious guests but gossiped about the person claiming to be their best friend. "Tonight, we have exchanged pleasantries and tonight we have made a difference. It is my honour to pass over to my daughter, Indigo, to give her speech where she will show her gratitude for the work that this community has been admiring."

Upon hearing her name, Indigo's eyes widened because this hadn't been part of the deal and was the first time that she had heard about this. "What?"

"You heard your father." Polly fake smiled, knowing that the audience were all watching them and a bright spotlight shone down on them; letting everyone see exactly where Indigo was standing and the audience applauded for her, wanting to hear what she was going to say.