¹⁰, melodrama

10

AND I'M SO FURIOUS
( at you for making me feel this way )

══════════════════

THE SAME DAY, 11:36 PM

TESSA SAT DOWN IN THE COAT CLOSET, TRYING TO CATCH HER BREATH. She put her head between her legs to try to calm her nerves, sweat dripping from her forehead. Steve sat next to her, not saying anything.

"I'm sorry," she whispered into the silence. "I'm sorry I left without saying goodbye. I should have said something."

Steve nodded. Tessa lifted her head and looked at him with soft eyes. he looked back at her, furrowing his eyebrows.

"where did you go?"

"London," She said. "I lived there for about a year before I came back."

"Why did you?" Steve softened his face, moving towards her gently. Tessa chewed on the inside of her lip, looking at her feet. "come back, I mean?"

"I had to. I learned about this place, this thing that raised me and I couldn't let them turn anyone else into someone like me." Her breath shuddered as she exhaled, placing her head back between her knees. "I had to protect them."

"Tessa," Steve muttered. "I haven't seen you in a year."

"You deserve an explanation," Tessa said. "I just don't have one right now. I'm sorry."

That wasn't true. She just couldn't bring herself to tell him. He saved her life, and She was so grateful, but there were things she just couldn't say.

"I need to ask a favor," She mumbled. "I can't do this alone. And I know that—"

"Okay," Steve said. "I'll help you." Tessa looked at him, shocked.