Chapter 2: Silent Sorting

After a long train ride and an unexpected boat ride, we arrived at Hogwarts. An old lady with a stern expression took us to a side room just off what I believed to be the Great Hall.

"Good evening, students", the lady said. "I am Professor McGonagall, now, I must ask you to wait here quietly while I get the Sorting Hat ready". 

And with that she was off, she walked towards the Great Hall her robe flew gracefully behind her. A young boy with the palest blonde hair I have ever seen approached us with two, huge boys that looked as if they should be 5th years by his side. He smirked, smugly at Harry before he said, "So it's true then? Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts". 

At that moment the silence turned into multiple murmurs. The boy took this as an opportunity to introduce himself.

"I'm Malfoy", he said with pride. "Draco Malfoy".

Ron and I snickered at this. Everyone knew the rich, snobby Malfoys', not to mention their past of being Deatheaters who quickly turned to the good side after Voldemort's fall. He turned sharply towards me and Ron.

"You think my name is funny do you?", he said, Ron shook his head. "No need to ask who you are. Red hair, and a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley"

"And you must be an asshole", I quickly retorted. Draco was stunned, clearly, no one ever had the balls to stand up to the likes of him.

"I'm so-", he said. He quickly stopped mid-sentence and stared at me. "Woah".

"Yeah, 'woah' is right, I'm Madeline Evans", I said confidently, gasps filled the room, I narrowed my eyes at Draco.

"No need to ask who you are. Platinum blonde hair, with a family history of Death Eaters? You must be a Malfoy", I mocked. Ron smiled at me and I took it as a gesture of 'thanks'.

Draco gasped. "Oh, I'm also Harry's half-sister", I smirked at him smugly. Whispers broke out across the room and began to get louder. Fortunately, Professor McGonagall came into the room and put a quick stop to it. 

"You are now ready to be sorted into your houses", she spoke. "The houses are Griffyndore, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Slytherin..."

She led us into the Great Hall, and every student on each of the four tables turned to stare. All the first years stopped just before the stage. Professor McGonagall started to call out the student's names for sorting. A strange feeling that someone was watching me came over me, I looked around the teacher's table on the stage. A man who looked to be in his early 30's stared at me. He had short ebony, black shoulder-length hair that was slightly greasy, very similar to mine. He had a hooked nose that was an exaggeration of my own hooked nose. He looked awfully like me, but I brushed it off as a coincidence. He continued to stare intensely into my eyes.

"Madeline E-Evans?" Professor McGonagall stammered. Gasps broke out across the hall, it made me uncomfortable. The Professor stood wide-mouthed as I stepped up onto the stage and sat on the weak, wooden chair. Everyone in the hall wore shocked expressions. Whispers broke out as people commented on my striking resemblance to Harry's mum, Lily Potter. Professor McGonagall placed the hat upon my head, it was brown, worn-out, and dirty. 

"Difficult... Very difficult", said the Sorting Hat thoughtfully. "Cunning and ambitious... Yes, but also brave and ready to stand up for oneself". I screwed my face up and squinted scared for his next words. If I get sorted into Hufflepuff, I might just leave.

"Hmm...", murmured the Sorting Hat. "Better be, Slytherin!"

Acclamation broke out across the Slytherin table. I turned to glimpse at Harry but he wore a look of disillusionment. I guessed that he didn't quite agree with the hat's decision. Draco cleared a spot for me as he had previously been sorted into Slytherin, he is unquestionably going to be a right pain in the ass and I was not looking forward to it.

I turned to Malfoy. "Who is that teacher talking to the professor in the lilac turban?"

"That's Professor Snape", Draco exclaimed. "He's the head of Slytherin... That's weird, you kind of look like him"

I glared at Professor Snape and he quickly looked away. Then it struck me, what if he is my dad? How could I be so stupid, it was right in my face. I decided to question Draco further as he seemed to be proving useful at the moment. 

"Draco, does Professor Snape have any children?" I asked. "Has there been rumours even? Or speculations?"

Draco looked at me as if I've lost my mind. It was a silly question, I should not have asked.

"No, definitely not", he stated confidently. "Trust me, I would know"

I knew it. Me and my overthinking, always has my logical thinking muddled. He looks like me, well... I look like him. There's not a doubt in my mind about that, but a lot of people look quite similar despite having no relation. Embarrassed by my insane question I turn my head to face the stage on which Professor Dumbledore now stood.

"Attention, students", he demanded, even though he was stern he still had a soft caring voice that only a grandfather could have possessed. "It is my pleasure to welcome all first years to Hogwarts, congratulations. I wish to remind all first years that the Forbidden Forest is strictly prohibited for all students"

It must be the forest near the school, it's rather curious that they would have such a dangerous place, so close to a school.

"And Mr Argus Filch has asked me to remind all students that this year the third corridor is out-of-bounds to all students, who do not wish to die a most painful death".
Whispers broke out from around the hall. Death? Not only that but a painful one? And who in the hell is Mr Filch? I leaned into Draco and whispered in his ear.
"Who's Argus Filch?"
"Oh, he's a squib. Pathetic, really... He's the caretaker", Draco said. "Look at him, strange man". Draco pointed at a musty looking man, he didn't look like the type I would want to associate with. This man seemed to lack many of the vital aspects that a nice  person possesses. He lacked posture, he lacked a genuine smile. He had long hair that seemed to be patched, and his skin looked strange and rubbery despite the grey and white stubble that collected on his face. He wore worn clothes that were far too big for him, and he had evil eyes to match his most vicious smirk. I looked down to his feet where a cat sat, it had piercing yellow eyes, brown fluffy fur, and was big enough to be a Maine-coon. She must be the infamous Mrs. Norris. Filch must of caught me staring because he narrowed his eyes and gave me a devilish grin. I shuddered. What a creepy man. I turned back to the stage, eager to hear Professor Dumbledore's next words, and eager to erase the disturbing picture of Filch's evil grin which was now engraved in my head.

____________________________________________________________________

Hello! Thank you to all that read! I will be creating a permanent bookcover soon. Thanks again! Love all the Potter fans! Even if you aren't one, I have love for you as well🥰