Chapter 4: Curious Crash

I followed along closely behind Professor McGonagall. What could possibly be so urgent? It's only my first day, it's been annoying having already earned myself a detention, and what's worse is it's with the one and only Draco Malfoy. Asshole. The professor was walking too fast so I walked quicker so I didn't lag behind.
She came to a wall with what seemed to be a blank entrance. This must be Dumbledore's secret entrance.

"Sherbert lemon", she said, as she held both hands up to the door.

The secret entrance revealed itself in a way I was most certainly not expecting. A spiral staircase twirled up and out of the ground with a groan.

"I best be off", she said. "I trust that Professor Dumbledore will be awaiting in his office"

And with that she was off. Thanks for the abundant information. I cautiously made my way up the stairs and walked through the first door I found. The room was outdated but had a regal touch to it. The glass in the room was abundant, and the paintings of past headmasters granted me the eerie feeling of being watched, but what captured my attention the most was the most beautiful red bird perched on a stick of some kind. I walked up to the bird, weary as I didn't wish to be bitten. The red bird looked at me with caring eyes making me doubt it could ever want to harm me.

"Ah, so I see you have met Fawkes", Dumbledore said as he walked down the stairs off his office. "Fawkes is a Phoenix"

His sudden appearance startled me. Why must this man always pop out of thin air?

"A Phoenix? That's incredible"

"Yes, quite", he agreed. "But I must admit, this was not the reason I summoned you here"

He wore a calm face but I could see the worry carried closely behind the facade he was clearly creating for me. I started to panick.

"You see, I have you here to break the most terrible of news", he said with sympathy. "Your Auntie and Uncle passed away earlier today from a curious car crash"

W-what? No it can't possibly be true.

"I believe it was on the way home from picking your uncl-"

"You're lying"

"Why would I lie Miss Evans?"

"You must be! It ca- It can't possibly be true!" I screamed, my legs gave way and I fell to my knees. It hurt like a bitch but I couldn't care less. I couldn't believe it. As much as I told myself that this man had no gain in lying, I just couldn't bring myself to comprehend the words which were coming out his mouth. He must be telling the truth. There is no other viable answer. I must accept that there is a great possibility he is telling the truth. Why? Why is luck never on my side. If I had known that the train station was the last time I were to see her I would of hugged her twice as hard, hell, I would have dragged her onto the train with me. What if it's my fault she was dead? She said that she was late. If I hadn't made her late would she still be alive? This is all to much. I stayed on my knees and sobbed heavily. I felt a hand gently start patting my shoulder. I would have slashed at the hand but I had no energy. It's as if in my moment of realisation my energy was stolen from me.

"I understand your pain, and my condolences rest with you Miss Evans", he said. "Please do allow me to help you sit in the chair, unfortunately, there is much more to discuss"

"L-like what?"

"Information regarding your birth and also an attempt to find you a guardian to watch over you, a Hogwarts Parent you could say"

"Why is your second sentence an attempt to replace my aunt and uncle?"

"As awful as it may seem, I would be utterly irresponsible to not find you a suitable guardian", he said. "You understand that do you not?"

"Yes, I- I understand", I stammered. He was right, I did need a new guardian but my aunt Jo, I just couldn't take it. "What about Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia?"

"Oh. My dear, I made that unfortunate mistake with your half-brother", he said as he shook his head. "I do not wish to put you in that household, they are bearable with Mr. Potter... But with you as well? No, I must not take that chance"

"My aunt always did dislike them", I said, saying 'my aunt' felt like a dagger went straight through my heart.
"Yes, she had every reason too, but I must confess that your aunt wasn't your actual aunt"

Okay, what the fuck? This is too much. Way too much information to possibly comprehend at once. But I must soldier on. It's what Aunt Jo, and Uncle Chris would of wished for. It helped that I always did have this uncanny ability to disconnect from events and emotions as long as they weren't impeding too much on my mind. I didn't really want to know the answer to my next question.

"Who? Who were they?"

"Muggles, I chose them at random and manipulated their memories"

So I wasn't even wanted by them? They wanted me out of being manipulated to do so... Great. Nothing could possibly get worse than this.

"Now, in terms of your birth", he said, he looked at me over his half-moon glasses. Pretty useless if he doesn't look through them. I chuckled to myself.
Dumbledore smiled.

"I'm glad to see you in higher spirits Ms. Evans"

Oh, he had to remind me... I miss you so much Aunt, whether you were blood related or not. My face screwed up and I returned to sobbing. I looked up quickly, though my vision was blurred because of the tears, I could see the regret on Dumbledore's face, as if he was beating himself up for commenting on my chuckle. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes temporarily.

"So... In terms of my birthday, Professor"

"Oh, yes, what year were you told you were born?" he raised an eyebrow, what a peculiar question.

"1980"

"Yes, I must inform you that, that date is actually incorrect. You were actually born in 1979"

Great. So I was different in more ways than one.

"If I am twelve years-old, how come I only received my letter this year?"

"Because I wanted you to arrive with your half-brother, also, what I find most curious is that you weren't skeptical of your birthdate. I thought you would have seen that if you were born two days before your mother had passed,  her pregnancy with both of you would have overlapped"

I never truly gave my birthday a second thought, despite knowing Harry's birthday.

"Now, I know this is a lot to take in but we must go and find a suitable teacher whom is willing to take care of you"

I already knew no one would want me...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HELLO! If anyone wants to add to the plot or see something happen at anytime please feel free to message me or place it in the comments, thank you for reading! Luv u. Also this was rather short...