Chapter 5: Potential Parents

I followed Dumbledore down the stairs to our first potential parent. Professor Sprout. We travelled through the courtyard to the greenhouses. Dumbledore knocked on the door and quietly stepped inside. As soon as he did, a million beady little eyes landed on him.

"I am most sorry for the inconvenience Professor Sprout", he apologised. "But may I borrow a minute of your time?"

"Oh, Headmaster", she said confused. "You absolutely may"

Sprout walked out of the green house and shut the door behind her.

"I am sorry Ms. Evans but I must ask you to stand by the entrance to the courtyard just over there", he said with a gentle smile. "Thank you"

I had no choice. I trodded my way to the entrance of the courtyard. I didn't like this one bit. Was this not a matter that involved me? I should be able to choose my potential parent, or at least get a say, but no. I'm being forced into a parent-daughter relationship without consent. Whatever, I just hope I don't get Snape, but I cannot see how he would ever agree to such a task. Dumbledore mustn't of gathered the distance of being able to hear too well, because I can hear them both relatively well.

"I must inform you that Ms. Evans is in need of a guardian of sorts after the recent passing of her auntie and uncle earlier this morning", he said.

"What could this possibly have to do with with me? If you don't mind me asking Headmaster"

"Well, I thought of you as a potential parent for Ms. Evans over there"

"Oh my, sorry Headmaster but I couldn't possibly take on this task", she said shaking her head. "You'll just have to ask another staff member, Professor McGonagall perhaps? And please do send my condolences to Ms. Evans"

"Will do, Professor Sprout", Dumbledore said with same gentle smile he gave me.

Sprout headed back into greenhouse to continue her lesson. Dumbledore need not break the news. I already heard the rejection once. I would hate to hear it again. Dumbledore slowly made his way over to me.

"I need not break the news, I understand you have already heard, just as I had planned", he said with a mischievous grin. He raised an eyebrow.

What a peculiar man. Why did he send me away if he wanted me to hear? Maybe as a possible attempt to hear the uncensored truth. Every teacher we tried denied the task. I felt pathetic, a failure. No one wanted me, not even my own mother. As Dumbledore and I walked along the corridor to our last teacher I had a few things I wished to discuss.

"Professor, why didn't my mother want me?"

"Didn't want you? My dear... She wanted you very much, but it was much too unsafe. She requested I take you to a safer place, your Auntie and Uncle"

"Oh, so she only left me due to safety reasons? That makes a lot more sense. So why was Harry left?"

"I thought it was best to have you separate. As Tom Riddle was never after you but your half-brother"

"I see. I'm guessing Tom Riddle is Voldemort...", I said. "Which teacher are we seeing next?"

"The last teacher there is...", he said. "Professor Snape"

Oh you have got to be fucking kidding me... Mr. grumpypants as my "dad", hell no. Not going to happen.

"What about Professor Quirrell?" I said. Dumbledore gave me a most peculiar look.

"I don't quite think he is the most suitable guardian"

"Why not?"

"Alright, here we are. Please wait outside the door"

What was with the sudden subject change... I'm seriously suspicious now. Time to eavesdrop once again. I pray to God he says no. If he's my guardian I'll be pissed off. Dumbledore entered the staffroom leaving the door slightly ajar.

"Headmaster?"

"Hush, Severus. We have much to discuss"

"What could possibly be so urgent?"

"Ms. Evans is in need of a guardian, and I am entrusting you to take on the task"

How peculiar. He asked with all the other staff members... Why would Snape be any different? Maybe it was because he was the last teacher and he was becoming desperate.

"Headmaster, you couldn't possibly consider me a suitable candidate, I'm not the most... Exhilarating"

"Severus, I trust you with my very life. And I trust you can handle a task such as this"

"I'm sorry, despite your judgement Headmaster... I do not see myself being the correct person for it"

"Think of Lily, she would hate for her daughter to be alone without guidance"

"You can't do this, Headmaster. You have already done this with Mr. Potter and it's been difficult enough by itself. Please, do not increase the burden"

A burden? Is that what he would consider me? Asshole. Oh my, god.

"Severus, I hate to break the news in way and a time such as this but you have given me no choice"

Dumbledore approached Snape and whispered some apparently startling information by look on Snape's face.

"B-but tha- there's absolutely no way that's a possibility!"

"I understand this is but a surprise for you, Severus but you knew deep down and you still know deep down that it's true"

I opened the door a little more and it made a quiet squeal. Snape quickly snapped his head to the door where he saw my face between the gap. He titled his head and looked at me like he'd seen a ghost. He snapped to Dumbledore and with a wave of two fingers he slammed the door shut. Is he going to be slamming doors in my face all the time, or was this just a special occasion? Perfect taster course. I waited outside for what seemed like an hour as I leaned against the door. Eventually, I heard footsteps approaching my position and I quickly got to my feet. Dumbledore and Snape entered the Dungeon corridors.

"Ms. Evans, I believe I have found you a suitable guardian", Dumbledore said with a smile, nodding slightly. "This is Professor Severus Snape, I am to believe you have both already met in potions, have you not?"

"Yes, Professor. I have met him, I also have the wonderful opportunity of serving detention this afternoon with him and Draco Malfoy"

"Ah, very well then", he said. "There will be no need for an introduction in that case"

Did he not just hear that I have a detention? This is outrageous. All I want right now, is to be snuggled in the arms of my most beloved Auntie and Uncle. At the thought of them I felt my heart drop. I feel cold and weak. My knees started to tremble, they better not give way, that would be utterly embarrassing. As if my body wished to defy me, my knees gave way. Snape reacted quickly catching me before my knees became one with the cold corridor floors. He lifted me up quickly and took a step back, looking worried.

"Are you alright, Ms. Evans?" asked Snape.

"Positively", I rolled my eyes.

His face turned sour and he shot a retort at me.

"Maybe you are in need of balance classes since you are foolishly losing control"

Excuse me? I'm not going to get used to his asshole nature. Just when I thought he had some humanity. Saving me from the very near collision. I guess not.

"Well, I must be off. Please, Ms. Evans, seek me or Professor Snape if you have any troubles", smiled Dumbledore. "I must urge you to consult with Professor Snape prior to me, though"

And with that Dumbledore walked away to return to his office, leaving me and Snape alone.

"Come along now, Ms. Evans", he said with a sneer. "Your detention awaits you"

Never, ever getting used to this...

--------------------------------------------------------------

HELLO! What's up? Well I have finals for highschool coming up so if uploads are a little slow, that's why...
Love you all💖💚🐍