Chapter 2

The Darkling finally convinced Natalia to go with him to the Little Palace. He could tell she didn't really want to, but she also didn't want to say no. 

He was alone and didn't have any other Grisha with him so he decided to head straight to the Little Palace. He helped her on his horse and headed towards Os Alta. 

"I don't know what to do..." she said suddenly. He slowed the horse down. 

"What do you mean?" He asked. 

"When we get to Os Alta. I'm just an orphan you found feeding your horse an apple. A runaway orphan at that. I don't know how to act or what to do." 

She sounded worried. 

"You'll be with me Natalia. You will be fine." He said. 

"But when you're not there." 

" Natalia when I am not there you will have other Etherealki there."

"Squallers, Inferni, and Tidemakers. Am I correct in assuming that you have found no other Shadow Summoners?"

"You certainly know a lot about what is going on in Os Alta."

"Ana Kuya was quite a gossip."

"When we arrive at the Little Palace, you will be taken to your new room. Then you will be given your own kefta. And once they see your power, no one will dare go against you. There is no need to worry." 

"Ana Kuya knew of my power... and she still went against me." Natalia shuddered. 

The Darkling frowned. 

"She knew?" 

"She just recently found out... she wasn't very pleased. She locked me in the basement while she took her time calling for your Grisha soldiers. She said if I was to be a Demon of the dark, then in the dark I shall be. I didn't really mind thought. After a few days some of the other children let me out." 

"Tell me where I can find this Ana Kuya."  He said rather coldly. 

"She minds the orphanage that Duke Keramsov owns. In Keramzin." Natalia told him. 

"Are there any other Grisha children that you know of?" Natalia frowned thoughtfully. 

"Not that I know of. I know not all of the children have been tested. But none of them have shown signs of being Grisha. I am the oldest, therefore the other children come to me when something happens." 

"The oldest?"

" I was in the first group of children that the orphanage accepted. There were 6 of us. Everyone else was adopted. I wasn't." 

"Why do you think you weren't?" He asked. 

Natalia laughed softly.

"Well for one Ana Kuya thought me to be ugly and bad tempered. She told all that came that I was stubborn and rude- which of course she was right. I am stubborn, but I don't think that I am necessarily rude. I'm just very blunt. And I don't mindlessly follow orders." 

He chuckled. 

"Of course, Duke Keramsov taught me to read, he figured it would help keep me out of trouble. I've read every book in his library. Is there a library at the Little Palace?"

"There is a grand library. Filled with hundreds of books."

"Really?"

He nodded. She smiled happily.