Chapter 5: Testing a Hypothesis

Eren and Mikasa we're helping to load up the last of the supplies for the trip back to Trost District. After the devastating attack on Trost District, those supplies would be surely needed.
"Hey brats, get over here."
They complied to the Captain's order and scurried over to where he was, "Yes sir," they both saluted sharply. Captain Levi looked to Eren, "There's one more test we need to perform on you, Eren."
"Oh really?" the boy asked, "Well then why isn't Hange here?"
"She's not going to be performing the test..." Captain Levi began.

"We are..." a strangely familiar voice replied.
Is that Reiner's voice? What the hell is he doing here? 
Eren looked up to see a man with shaggy blue hair, a red tattoo across his face and he was wearing a long dark blue cloak with the standard casual attire. There was also a woman at his side. She had the most beautiful scarlet hair and was dressed in mostly armor, though she also wore a beautiful skirt.
"And just who the hell are you?" Mikasa growled, her blades already drawn and ready. "At ease ma'am, there's no need to fight," said the blue haired man, "We just need to test a theory, " he smiled, "I'm Jellal Fernandes and this is Erza Scarlet, were from Fairy Tail in a small town called Magnolia."

Mikasa narrowed her eyes and then slowly put her blades away, giving a halfhearted apology. "Sorry, I'm very protective of Eren. Ever since he took me in as a child, I've sworn to protect him with everything I have." "I completely understand," Erza said, "Anytime someone threatens anyone of my guildmates, they will regret it. Besides, at Fairy Tail, we treat each other like family, and when you mess with one of us, you're gonna catch heat from all of us." Erza spoke with the confidence she'd always spoken with. "Looks like everything is going well," along came another  voice. Everyone turned to see a tall, very well built, blonde man standing before them. His hair was parted slightly to the left and his face had a masculine build to it.

"Commander Erwin sir, what are you doing here?" Eren asked, a bit surprised at the Commander's sudden appearance. Erwin answered simply before looking over to Jellal and Erza, "I simply wanted to see the results of the experiment, well... Not just me." He said and a woman with long shaggy brown hair stepped out from behind him.
"Hange?" Eren asked, "I thought you weren't going to perform the experiment?"
"Oh I'm not, I just came with Erwin to watch, or should I say, to observe. *giggles*"
Erwin looked over at Hange with a confused glance, "You're in quite a rare form today, aren't you Hange?"
"I apologize Erwin, I'm just a bit excited." she answered and ran over to join the group. The blonde commander did the same and waited for the signal.

---Cut to Experiment---

Commander Erwin, Captain Levi, Section Commander Hange, Mikasa Ackerman, Jellal Fernandes, Erza Scarlet, and Eren Yeager were all out in a field near the interior side of Wall Rose.  Eren had magic restricting handcuffs put on his wrists and he'd been told to wait until the signal flare was given to transform. The other 4 scouts and 2 wizards stood back underneath the tree line a slight distance away in case the cuffs were to fail. Commander Erwin and Captain Levi stood on Jellal's right side, while Mikasa Ackerman and Erza Scarlet stood on his left side.

"Are you sure about this Jellal?" Commander Erwin asked.
"Well it is just a hunch sir, so it could go either way." Jellal responded, giving Erza a nod. The scarlet haired mage raised the gun and fired the flare. 
PEEEEAAAAARRRRRRTTTTT!!!!!
Eren looked up and saw the flare. 
Alright, here goes nothing...
He bit down hard on his hand, drawing blood, and waited...and waited...and waited... but nothing happened. He opened his eyes again and noticed he was still in his human form. What?  Are you kidding me? These cuffs can't really be keeping me from transforming now can they?
He tried again, biting down again, blood dripping down the side of his hand, but still...nothing happened.

"Are you kidding me?" Levi asked, as he watched the boy struggle to transform into his titan form, "The cuffs actually work?"
"Amazing~" Hange sighed.
"Uh guys? I think it worked!" Eren called over to the rest of them.
Erwin heard the boy and walked over to him, with Jellal following behind.
"You did good Eren," the commander assured Eren while Jellal uncuffed him.
They all walked back over to the rest of the group.
"So the cuffs actually worked, I'm surprised," Levi commented.
"The reason why these cuffs work, is because they're laced with what's called 'Bane Particles'. These particles work to deplete ethernano which will very quickly drain our magic and wreck havoc on our bodies." Jellal explained.
Levi then looked at Jellal as if he were crazy, "And you just put that shit on Eren! You dumbass! You could've killed him!"
Erza then butted in, "Hey! If you would just shut up and let him finish, you would look at it from a completely different perspective."
Levi glared at her for a dangerously long minute, before turning back to Jellal, "Continue..."
"...Like I was trying to say. The cuffs themselves will not physically harm a living being. They will only stunt the being's ability to use any type of magic or special ability they may have that requires ethernano."
Levi sighed and covered his face with his hand, "Dammit, now I feel stupid," he then looked back up at Jellal, "I have to once again apologize, I overstepped my boundaries."
Jellal gave a faint smirk, "Apology accepted, sir,"
Levi then turned to Erza, "I have to say the same for you ma'am,"
Erza also gave a smirk of her own, "Again, Apology accepted, sir,"

"Okay, so how are we going to implement this strategy into our battle strategies so it can be of use to us on future expeditions?" Commander Erwin asked.
"Well, we now know that the Titan Shifters use Ethernano to transform and use their abilities. We also know that when their bodies are healing, it's on par with us allowing our magic power to recharge because it's a very similar process."
"Hm..., well now that you've given us all of this useful information, we will be sure to take complete advantage of this situation. I thank you very much, Jellal," Erwin said, "I will relay the results of the experiment to Premiere Zachary."

Next Chapter: Tatania vs. Female Titan