Chapter 1

WARNING: Blood/Gore

Art by Me! 

--

"Where are we going?"

A young black she kit follows her mother, Starlingcloud. They're moving in a group; practically all of FrostClan making their way through the forest.

"I'm not too sure yet, Icekit," Starlingcloud sighs. "But whatever's happening, Dimstar said it's nothing to miss out on."

Right after she says the leader's name, her voice booms through the crowd.

"I'd like my strongest warriors to join me in the front," Dimstar meows. "That'll be... Eeljump.. Flythroat.. Mistleheart... Heronfire too, why not?"

Icekit watches as the cats wiggle their way through the crowd as their names are called. Flythroat gently headbutts Starlingcloud's side.

"You keep your beautiful self out of trouble," he murmurs to her. He turns his gaze to Icekit. "You too, sweet pepper."

"Yes, dad!" She headbutts her father's chest before letting him leave.

"MossClan camp..." Starlingcloud lifts her head and tastes the air. Icekit mimics her and does the same, completely new scents hitting her nose immediately.

"Is this what MossClan cats smell like?"

"Yes, dear." She attempts to look around, but her clanmates seem to be blocking her.

Shelldream, another queen Icekit recognizes, whispers something into Starlingcloud's ear as she quickly huddles her own son, Rainkit, underneath her.

Starlingcloud's eyes widen. "W-We should go back, then! Alert Dimstar at once!"

"I think she's already aware..." Shelldream shuffles a little. 

"What's going on?" Icekit gets slightly caught off balance as she as well is forced to stay underneath her mother.

"Stay down," Starlingcloud meows quickly. "Something's not right."

"QUEENS! FOLLOW ME!" Redshadow's deep voice shakes through the crowd, the white and red tom zigzagging his way towards them. "Dimstar isn't stopping. I'm going to escort the queens to safety."

"You're a lifesaver, Redshadow..." Shelldream takes a big sigh of relief and lets her furless son emerge again. 

"Where's Harekit?" Rainkit meows. 

"We can look for Swallowpatch and Harekit once Redshadow settles us down," Shelldream responds. 

Redshadow flicks his tail and leads the queens and kits away from the group, having them follow him down a steep ledge and inside of a tree. 

Icekit takes her first few steps inside and wrinkles her nose. 

Yuck! It smells like something's rotting in here... And it's so musky and cramped! 

She looks around. Queens from three clans are seemingly here; each and every one holding their kits close. 

"Come onnn.. where's Harekit?" Rainkit wails. 

"I don't see Swallowpatch anywhere..." Shelldream scans the crowd carefully. 

"Maybe she was left behind?" Starlingcloud suggests. "I can go back to camp with you and look, Shelldream." 

"That would be nice," she purrs. "Rainkit, stay here. No exceptions." 

"You too, Icekit. You're almost an apprentice. You're also one of the oldest kits, so I expect you to be a good example."