A rose

Erwin and I laugh loudly while we run around the big tree that stands outside our house. Tears brim my eyes, tears of happiness. At 5 pm all the fun is over when dad gets home. Erwin runs up to him hugging him tightly and his father carries him spinning him in the air. Erwin laughs loudly, the sound is like music to my ears.

"Let's go have dinner," my father says smiling at his perfect son, not even acknowledging me. I see them head inside so I follow them. The smell of chicken floods my senses and I smile, licking my lips in anticipation. "Get the table ready angel," my mother says with a huge smile and I smile back. I try reaching the plates but I am too small and I accidentally knock over all of the glass plates, a shattering sound followed by a stinging on my leg.

"Oh, angel! Are you all right?" My mother asks worriedly but before I can respond my father barges in screaming at my mother. When he was about to hit her,  words that I never thought I would hear come out of her mouth, "It was her," she says pointing a me with a look of disgust in her face, my eyes widen as my dad approaches me a hand raised in the air as he slaps me for the first time. "You scared little Erwin!" He yells and I hold my cheek in pain, I feel the blood trickling down my leg and a tear leaves my eye.

I jolt up awake, Hange notices this and they quickly stand up approaching me. "You okay, dear?" They as gently, kneeling beside me. "Yeah, I'm fine," I say touching my face where my father had slapped me. That was the day everything began, the day my mom stopped protecting me. My father used to abuse her before but once she stopped taking the blame for my accidents the abuse was directed at me.

"Nightmare?" They ask softly, so soft that all I want to do is grab their words and wrap them around my heart. "Mhm," I say releasing a shaky sigh. "More like a memory," I say and they nod grabbing my hand and caressing it gently. "Want to talk about it?" They ask giving me a soft smile and I can't bring myself to lie to their perfect face. "uhm when I was little, my father used to abuse my mother for things I would do. Anything that would make Erwin upset my mother paid for... one night she got tired I guess and when I broke some plates and Erwin got startled, he was about to hit her, then she told my dad that it was me," a tear left my eye and they squeezed my hand. Their eyes are watery and a worried expression adorns their face.

"Ever since that day he would constantly find reasons to abuse me, verbally and physically, he would punch me, whip me, r-rape me," I say as tears stream down my eyes faster and Hange quickly takes a seat next to me and hugs me tightly. "It's okay my dear, I will protect you. He can't hurt you anymore," they are shaking now and I fell their tears hit my shoulder. "Thank you for telling me," they say as they hug me tighter and I nod. "Thank you for caring," I say pulling away and wiping their tear stained cheeks. They care that much?

"Come on let's go to sleep we still have 3 hours before we need to wake up," they pull me up from the couch and lead me to their unsurprisingly messy room. They get in the bed with me and wrap their arms around my waist nuzzling their head on my neck and I wrap mine around theirs as we doze of to a peaceful slumber. 

****

I groan as the bright rays of sun hit my eyes, there is something warm and I pull it closer to me looking for comfort. A soft chuckle makes me open my eyes and my eyes meet a pair of hazel eyes, they aren't wearing their glasses making their eyes even more hypnotizing.

"Good morning," they say as they tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. Their breath tickles my face and I feel the once dormant butterflies wake up. What the hell am I doing!? I can't be with them and we even slept in the same bed! "Morning," I rasp out and I feel them pull me closer, if it's even possible the action makes me fall for them a little more.

"Lets go get breakfast? We will be late for training," they say as they sit up. Right, we are still section commanders, we have a job. 

***
I take another bite of the cold bread as Levi breaks the silence, "Hey four eyes, congrats on getting your request approved. Hopefully when you get a titan you will stop whining about not having one," he says making Hange roll their eyes but you could see their face light up in excitement.

"I can't wait to do experiments on it when I get it! I need to go to my lab before training excuse me!" They say giving me a soft smile before speed walking away. "I should get going too, Erwin, what should we train on with the cadets today?" I question.

"Just talk to them about the losses and dismiss them, they need a break. A lot of their comrades died yesterday," he says not even looking up at me.

"Okay,"

***

Fear, thats all I could see in the faces of my cadets. Well most of them at least. It made me feel awful, they are just kids. I am walking through the familiar gravel path. It's different now, the gravel is dry it makes me feel uneasy and don't really know what possessed me to come here.

I spot the gravestone that I know so well and walk towards it, standing in front of it I place a red flower on top of it, different from the usual white ones I used to bring. A red one that full fills a promise, a promise to never step foot near his grave again. I kneel down the wind hitting my face gently, almost caressing it.

"I know I say that I hate you a lot, but that's far from the truth. I know I should hate you after everything you did to me. But how can I hate you? You made Erwin so happy and I am thankful for that. I hope you don't hate me as much as you said you did, I hope you don't hate  her either and lastly I hope Erwin felt your love like I never did, goodbye father," a deep sigh leaves my lips as I left the graveyard for the last time.

***

I am sitting on top of the wall, admiring the sunset. One wrong move and I fall into the mouth of those titans, I contemplated jumping, no one would've known. The sound of steps startle me from my thoughts and I turn to see my brother making his way towards me. My eyes widen as I see his red, angry eyes and a flower held tightly on his hands matching the color of his eyes. I fucked up.