Promise? Promise.

I hear the faint sound of beeping.  I groan as I open my eyes the light hitting my sensitive eyes. I look around the room, I am in a white room, empty except for the white bed I lay on. There is a white door, no windows, and the room is very small. I have never been here before.

It's cold, unnervingly cold and I am alone. My thoughts drift back to the fight I had with Erwin, he said he hated me because I was the reason my mom was abused but that makes no sense. The only reason she was abused was that dad had major anger problems.

I remember how hard he punched me but I don't feel any pain right now, almost as if we didn't even fight. I remember I had a wound on my leg so I pull the gown up revealing both my legs and I shiver at the cold air meeting my skin.

I examine my leg wound and notice that it is completely healed, just how long have I been out for? I inhale deeply and feel a faint sting in my ribs. Nothing too bad. I stand up and walk around the room, nothing seems to hurt too bad. There really isn't anything but a bed in this room and it is making me feel uneasy.

The sound of an intercom startles me as an unfamiliar voice speaks, "Section commander Smith, how are you feeling?"

"Where am I?" I ask panicking slightly, who the fuck is talking?

"Are you feeling okay? Your trial has been set two days from now,"  my trial? What the hell? As in a jury trial?

"Where am I? What trial? How long have I been sleeping? where is Hange?" I question my voice quivering, I am scared.

"Smith, you have been out for less than 24 hours, and don't play dumb with us we will see you at the trial," the faint sound of the intercom stops indicating that the transmission is over.

"NO DONT GO WHAT THE HELL" I yell. Don't play dumb? You are fucking kidding, right? A trial? What do they think I did?

I feel tears leave my eyes as I slide against the white wall, my lip quivering and my hands shaking. I hug my knees to my chest as I cry, my mind flooded with thoughts of my father and Erwin.

Then I think of them. Those hazel eyes and honey smell make my heart flutter and for a moment I forget about everything that has gone wrong in my life and I think of them, how their lips would feel against mine. A shaky sigh lips my lips as I doze off to sleep.

***

It's been two days, at least I think so. Food and water have been delivered to me but the intercom has not sounded again. Until today, a new voice sounded, "hello (Y/N) Smith, is there anyone that you would like to talk to before the trial? You only get one visitor for 10 minutes,"

"Y-yeah Hange Zoë," I say almost immediately scared of the intercom closing again.

"Okay then, section commander Zoë will be called shortly. If they want to see you that is,"

***

I was sitting on my bed staring at the white wall when the sound of the intercom startled me once again, I should probably get used to it by now, "Section commander Zoë is here a guard will escort you here," a guard? What the hell do they think I did?

A few moments later said guard walked in, he looked young and he grabbed some handcuffs placing them on my hands in front of me.

"Is this really necessary?" I asked the tight grip of the cuffs making my anxiety rise.

"Follow me," he said ignoring my question and I did as he wished following him to a small door close to the room I was in, when he opened the door Hange was sitting on a chair an unreadable expression on their face. "Sit, you have 10 minutes starting now," the guard said before exiting the room.

"H-Hange?" I break the silence, they have a frown on their face and their lips are pursed in thought,

"Do- do you know what's going on? I don't understand," I said my voice quivering slightly.

"Oh come one (Y/N), you can't fool me anymore. I fell for all of your tricks, all this time you were just lying to me," they said and I felt my throat closing and my hands trembling as a few tears left my eyes. They don't trust me?

"Wha- Hange w-what are you- even saying?" I panicked and tears started falling from my eyes quickly, my chest felt tight. Did they not believe me? I could see my hands trembling and I took a shaky breath, trying to compose myself.

Their stern look shifted to a concerned one when they saw the state I was in.

"You- you really don't know?" Hange asked gently, their eyebrows scrunched in confusion.

"No, I have no idea," I say the trembling in my hands decreasing.

"(Y/N), you are a shifter,"  my heart stopped, was I hearing that right? There's no way! How could I not be aware of this?

"W-what?" My mouth was wide and a few tears left my eyes.

"I- I didn't... I-" I whimpered and I could feel my heart beating quickly.

Hange quickly leaned forward and grabbed both my cuffed hands looking at me in the eyes as they gently squeezed my hands.

"Breathe, darling. Breathe. It will be okay, all right? I didn't know you weren't aware," they say calmly and I took in deep, shaky breaths as they instructed.

"Keep breathing for me darling, you are doing great," they say as they caressed my wrist and my hand.

After a few moments of them holding my hands and whispering that I was going to be safe, the intercom sounded and a guard notified us we had 30 seconds left.

"(Y/N), know that whatever happens, I will be your ally," they whisper as they bring my hands to their lips and press a soft kiss making me forget about everything as my eyes shut close at the feeling of their lips on my knuckles. So gentle and so soft. 

"Okay? Everything will be fine," I inhaled once again as I nodded.

"Promise?" I said holding my pinky out. The soft giggle they emitted was music to my ears.

"Promise," they said linking our pinkies together as smiles adorned both of our lips.

Oh, how naive both of them were. So naive and in love that they forgot the most important thing, promises are meant to be broken.

A/N: Thanks for reading!!!