Chapter 31: The Surprise Attack

"I'm sure thanks to your training, she'll manage to find a way out of her predicament. And I think you don't give yourself enough credit. Areria told me that you believed in her, when no one else did." Cut reminded me. "And that's a very parental thing to do. You have it within you, Storm. Don't put yourself down and do not give up."

He was right. But first, I need to go and speak to Stass and Obi, and apologize to them...again. Hopefully they can forgive me. I need to stop making the same mistakes. With that in mind, I climbed upon to my feet.

"Thanks Cut, you're right. Now, I've gotta talk to them." I replied.

Cut nodded. "You're welcome. And don't worry about making mistakes. No one's perfect."

And so with that, I left, returning to Cut's and Suu's home. I let out a shaky sigh as I made my way back inside towards my room. As soon as I entered the room, I saw Obi and Stass sitting up on their beds. But as soon as they saw me, Stass and Obi both climbed into bed, throwing the blankets over them, pretending to be asleep. My heart clenched. I remember doing that when I didn't want to talk to my parents. Snips, Fang, and Kiara lied on the ground beside our beds. I walked over them, making sure not to accidentally step on them. Once I reached Stass's and Obi's beds, I sat down beside them.

"Obi, Stass." I called out. 

They kept their heads buried under the blankets. But I wasn't going to give up, I was determined to get them out of their blankets and to look up at me. So with that in mind, I continued. "I know you don't want to talk to me. I understand that. You don't have to. Just listen to me, okay? I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have snapped at you. I was just worried about dropping the gem. But that doesn't justify my reason for getting angry at the both of you. I'm sorry. I'm not exactly good at this mother thing. In fact, I suck at this."

At my words, Obi and Stass both poked their heads out of the blankets, finally looking at me. I anxiously waited for their response, hoping they'd forgive me. After what felt like an hour, Stass and Obi exchanged a look before turning to face me. They then spoke in unison. "We forgive you."

I let out a sigh of relief. But I then noticed mischievous smiles on their faces as they looked at each other. I raised an eyebrow. "What's with that look?"

"We'll forgive you if you help us pull a prank." Obi explained.

I haven't done any pranks, since the rise of the Empire. I hesitated. "I don't know."

"Please?" Stass pleaded. "You and dad would always tell us of the amazing pranks you would both do when you were younger. Like when you dyed Master Kota's hair."

"Or when you used mesh tape, sticking a youngling from the bear clan to the ceiling. Or when dad turned Uncle Thor into a frog." Obi added. 

"What about that time when dad was a snake and turned back to his human form before stabbing him." Stass chimed in. 

We told them about our pranks? I didn't realize Loki did those pranks, some sounding better than other pranks. I wonder what else we told them. I guess a small prank wouldn't hurt anyone. Besides it would make me smile. So with that in mind, I spoke up. "All right, we'll do one. But tomorrow, now get some rest." 

At my words, they quickly threw the blankets over their heads, trying to sleep as fast as they could. I let out a chuckle. 

•••

I heard loud piercing screams. I was surrounded by darkness for a few moments until I found myself back in a room, where Maya lied, strapped down on a table. The Grand Inquisitor circled around Maya, who whimpered as he stared at Maya, giving her a cold look.