04 | bliss: when the flowers bloomed

song: u r by taeyeon

bliss: perfect happiness; great joy.

When the flowers bloomed, you lit up the room. Shining brightly, your eyes drew everyone in. Everyone, myself included, wanted to hear what you were willing to share. We were eager to hear your stories, your opinions, your unique perspectives on anything and everything. Your words mattered, immensely. 

When the flowers bloomed, your charisma stood out the most. You were so passionate and driven to make the world a better place, you understood life's complexity. You were able to see past the nuances to find often overlooked, or sometimes never discovered, connections. And you relayed your findings in such a clear and comprehensible way, others often commented on how you represented the ideal professor. 

When the flowers bloomed, you had others' best interest in mind. Whether they were your family, closest circle of friends, co-workers, acquaintances, or strangers, you were always concerned about others' well-being. If you noticed something and had the opportunity to help out another individual, in a heartbeat, without double thinking, you were there to aid and guide that individual. "The slightest improvements," you said, "are always the most significant."

When the flowers bloomed, your kindness was contagious. We often volunteered at children centers, and you always communicated with them the best. You found the perfect balance of fun and learning, and throughout the years we watched the children grow up to become some of the most well-mannered pre-teens. They still remember and ask about you. 

When the flowers bloomed, your smile made me smile. Your silliness and the jokes we shared made everything feel okay. Whether we were sitting on a bench at the park, on the way to our workplaces, enjoying a nice filling meal of ramen at the small restaurant at the corner of our neighborhood, you always found reason to share a laugh. You made sure I smiled more than multiple times a day.

When the flowers bloomed, you provided the best advice and reassurance. Even if I was at my lowest, you made the right comments, said the right jokes, curved your lips upward all at the right times. You helped me escape my darkness and see the world as you saw it: a blank canvas designed for us to explore, run freely, and make our own. 

When the flowers bloomed, your presence comforted me. After a long day it wasn't a drink, food, alone-time, or a relaxing drama I wanted, it was you. I wanted to see you, catch up with you, and spend time with you, even if we were too exhausted to speak. Spending quality time with you were the best moments of my days.

When the flowers bloomed, you inspired me. I wanted to improve myself, become a better person, for you. I wanted you to be able to see my progress as an individual, to feel the same happiness I was feeling, to experience significant life milestones with me. You were the most important person in my life. You mattered much more to me than I could ever express.

When the flowers bloomed, your love powered me. Your honesty allowed us to live the best moments of my life even when we knew it would never last forever. We often described it as blissful; we worked so well together, perfectly making up for each other's faults, becoming a duo that was unstoppable. Creating memories that would stick with us for more than a lifetime, I am more than grateful for the times we shared together. As we often said to each other, "eternally, I love you."

When the flowers bloomed, you were beside me.

a/n: ah, "when the flowers bloomed," carried a lot of sadness, reminiscence, nostalgia, even; i hope all this sentiment could be felt as the narrator reflects on a time he/she/they shared with another individual, a time that can no longer exist.

on another note, this short is dedicated to whereagardenwas as her username actually inspired the first thought of this short! i was thinking about what the "garden" represented, and, in my mind, i linked "garden" to an individual's blissful memory.

that's where the flowers blooming took its form, and kickstarted my motivation to write a story of a person remembering a really, and truly, pleasant time they shared with another individual before that individual left. from that, this short embraced its current form. i hope you all enjoyed, including you ohlee! <3