Chapter 2: Unexpected

Three months later. Avelina's mind is finally at peace. It's past midnight, she's in her bed after a long day of work, warm and cozy, it was a chance for her to recall what happened since she told Cateline of her plan.

She called her friend in Milan, Alessia, and asked her to arrange a place for her while she finishes the papers. Alessia suggested that she should move once the papers are ready and stay with her until they find a good place which seemed perfect for Avelina.

Then it was the day. Avelina broke the news to her family.

"And when are you leaving?" Said her mother.

"This afternoon" She replied.

She got demonized. They all played the victim and made her the ungrateful bad daughter, nothing she didn't expect anyway.
Cateline came to accompany her to the airport. Saying goodbye to her friend wasn't easy but she left with the hope they'd always keep in touch.

She stayed with Alessia for a month during which they looked all over Milan for a suitable place. Alessia found an interesting one. An old lady owning two apartments and a closed store in a building, she lives in one of the apartments and has the other one for rent, perfect chance for Avelina.

Maria, the owner, is a lady in her 70s living only with her cat Milo. Avelina became her friend in no time as Maria reminded her of her grandmother so she felt great affection towards her.

She would visit her often to have a coffee and chat. The day Avelina told her about her family Maria became very emotional and had something to tell too

"Listen.. I'll help you -"

"Maria, you don't have to"

"No, listen.. I haven't told you about my daughter. She was almost your age, so beautiful, my poor baby.."

Maria's voice cracked but she went on

"She had a car accident. I thought she survived but all the surgeries she had at the hopes of saving her was in vain"

"My god.. Maria, I'm so sorry"

"I couldn't help her! I couldn't do anything!"

Avelina couldn't hide her tears

"So.. as I said, I'll help you. You know I own the closed store, right?"

"Yes.."

"You rent it. Make it whatever you want"

"But I can't afford another rent"

"I won't ask you for rent until it gives you enough earnings.. what do you say?"

-------------------------------------------------------------

It was a snowy night. Avelina didn't expect any customers at the bookstore yet she thought of spending few hours there, just enjoying watching the snow, surrounded by books.

She sat behind her desk, with her hot drink in hand, watching the usually busy street almost empty, only few people probably going home. The snow was still falling and Avelina was considering closing and going home when a customer went in.

A man in his early 40s. Tall with long dark hair, sharp eyes of an unusual color, a strong nose and a well built body.
Avelina found him quite attractive. He had a moustache with a little goatee that along with the rest of his features, reminded her of medieval knights she read about.

She laughed to herself at the thought. Probably it was the weather giving her an atmosphere romantic enough to romanticize a customer she just saw for the first time. He, on the other hand, looked at her as if she was someone he hadn't seen in a long time, then to her surprise he made a courteous bow and said

"Evening, miss"

Her heart almost jumped off her chest. That absolutely charmed her yet at the same time she found so weird.

"Evening, sir. Can I help you? Are you looking for a specific title?"

"I would like to have a look in general"

"Of course. There is a wide range of books on a variety of topics. Feel free to check"

He made another courteous bow and went to check the books. He went through every stand and shelf and that didn't bother Avelina at all as she stood by her desk and let him go freely through the place.

Nothing caught his attention though more than the medieval books' stand. He checked every title with great interest and picked two, then went to check out.

"That is a remarkable collection you have."

"Oh thank you. I'm most glad you liked it. I see you picked up medievals"

"Does it have your interest as well?"

"Indeed. In fact the medieval collection here is very dear to me. I like to say I saved them from merchants who didn't know their worth."

He gave an admiring look with a warm smile

"A lady of knowledge and vision I see" He said

"Oh I'm flattered, Thank you so much. Now may I have your name, please? It's the store's system. I need a name and number to inform you of new arrivals and offers"

"Name Vlad Tepeş -"

"Oh like the Prince?"

"You know him? Vlad of Wallachia?"

"Of course. Remarkable man."

"I too am from Wallachia. Yet I haven't seen many people mention him as remarkable before. Most see him as a monster"

"I don't think people really know him in our time. All they know is the fiction novels and movies no more"

"Unfortunate man.."

"You're a Wallachian yourself, what do you think of him?"

"I think he was a miserable pile of secrets"

"A what?"

"What is a man but a miserable pile of secrets.. specially a man like him, destined to rule and war all his life"

At this point his voice as well as his eyes seemed heavied with sorrow. Which made Avelina speechless for a moment.

"My apologies, miss -?"

"Avelina"

"Lovely name for a lovely lady. I am sorry if my words troubled you"

"Thank you and not at all. I'm just thinking about them"

"You are very kind."

"Thank you so much. Hope to see you again"

He left and soon after that she closed the store and went back to her apartment. She found herself thinking about her strange client. She did find him strange. He didn't seem like an imposter or a mad man to her but simply strange and to her, strange wasn't a bad thing. From his appearance to his behaviour, the bows, his voice and his way talking, she liked it all.

Maybe he's a descendant of the Tepeş family, she thought. She wondered why she didn't ask him about that? Maybe next time, but will there be a next time? She definitely hoped there would be.