A Punny Procedure

"We're going to have to cut them out," Caitlin says, apologetically, the next day.

Barry stares at her, pale.

Len probably looks just the same.

It was bad enough getting the sample; how's it going to be when she has to literally cut him open and physically remove the spots? Len doesn't want to remember the twisted look of pain on the kid's face, or how much it will happen when Caitlin does this.

"No," Barry says shakily. "Nope. I'll live with them."

Len shoots him a quick look, but he can understand where the kid's coming from so he can't be too angry.

"Barry," Caitlin says slowly, ever the voice of reason, "you're not getting enough oxygen to use your super speed because of these spots. So it's either we cut them out and you heal, or you stop being the Flash and quit using your speed. What's your choice?"

An ultimatum. Len's been a fan of ultimatums in the past; they make things much simpler at times. Right now, though, he despises them. Hates them because of the wide-eyed look on Barry's face; hates them because of the way the kid's breath catches in his throat as he stares at Caitlin like she's just murdered ten puppies.

"Stop being the Flash?" Barry repeats quietly. "No, I – I can't do that. I... I love being the Flash."

There's a lack of conviction in his voice, though, which leaves Len frowning at him. He knows the kid loves being the Flash – the kid's all about being the Flash, he lives and breathes it and does it so well. But now there's a flicker of doubt in his tone that Caitlin and Cisco both seem to be missing, but it's evident to Len. Entirely too obvious.

We're talking about this at home, kid.

"Then we have to do this, dude," Cisco says sympathetically, clapping a hand down on Barry's shoulder. "I'm sorry, man."

Barry's teeth catch his lower lip and chew for a moment, before he sighs. "Just... Just let me think about it."

"What's to think about?" Cisco asks, eyes widening, but it's just as Len suspected.

Len pushes to his feet. "He's given you his answer. He'll think about it, and we'll get back to you. Come on, Scarlet – we're leaving."

"Leaving?" Barry repeats, and Len nods, snatching his arm and hauling the kid to his feet. They need to discuss things, privately, and Barry just seems like he needs to get out of here for a while, after being given the ultimatum.

"Leaving," Len says firmly, daring Cisco or Caitlin to argue. Cisco puts his hands up defensively and backs off; Caitlin quirks a brow but says nothing, and they move past the two of them toward the doorway.

Barry doesn't say a word as they leave STAR Labs, and Len's not sure what to think of that, really.

The drive back to the safe house is ridden in engine-filled silence, Barry's arms tight around Len's waist, all agile warmth flush against his back. Those arms untangle as Len pulls the key from the ignition and they climb off the bike. Silently, they march into the safe house. It's empty, dark and quiet inside; Lisa isn't here, and the all the curtains are drawn shut.

Len flips a switch, bathing them in light.

"Alright, kid," he says, eying said kid, "spit it out."

Barry frowns at him. "Huh? What do you mean?"

Len snorts. "You've got that whole wounded puppy thing going for you, and what's this about you not wanting to be the Flash?"

"I never said that," Barry says thickly, eyes wide.