Chapter 1

Ringing. That name call type ring when someone had mentioned you behind closed doors. Only that typically happens when one is awake...

I can't be awoken in this state.

Pulled from a deep sleep, I open my eyes to a light shining above me. I squint, raising my arm to shield my eyes from the light but realize... I can't move.

I opened my mouth to call out to Star but nothing came out but a small exhale. This really put me into a panic. I look up at the light above me and look around blindly. The light damaging my eyes the longer I look at it. Before I close my eyes and give up, I see her.

My mom was difficult to view, as was my dad, but their voices intertwined together as they argued.

No clear conversation could be made out to me. It never was clear any other night when they made their appearance but the sight of them was enough for me to tear up each time.

After the fight the two would disappear into the light and Star would wake me from the sweet nightmare. However tonight, the two turned to me before I awoke.

"Twelve.." My mother turned to me and smiled.

I opened my eyes wide in shock. I shook in my bed as I attempted to raise my hand to my mom, tears beginning to stream down my face as I called out for her.

Through the grunts and whimpers, she covered her mouth and turned to my dad for help. My fathers face was gruff and stern. He held her hand tightly as she continued.

"Baby.. We love you" Her voice trailed off along with the two dissipating into the light.

no..

No!

I jolt awake gasping for air. I look around with a quick glance to see Star wasn't in the room and neither were they. I sigh with a touch of relief and disappointment before sliding my slippers on and standing to stretch from the sleep-paralysis. Afterwards, I quickly got myself changed out of my pajamas and into my patchwork hoodie.

In the bathroom I washed my face, the sweat and fear from the dream still on me.

"We love you"...

Was that them saying their goodbyes?

After years of not hearing from them, then just disappearing out of nowhere, why get such an eerie foreboding thought?

I wipe my face off before walking down the stairs in a tired manner.

"Star" I cry out. "I'm hungry.." I give her a smirk as I already smell breakfast on the stove.

She huffed, turning to face me with a plateful of pancakes in her hand. Beside her were two other dishes of pancakes, two glasses, and a pill bottle. She still wore her nightdress which meant she had the day off of work today. Her hair was wild but because it was short, it was easy for her to keep out of the food.

"Then you should wake up earlier." Star teased. "I don't have time to always make breakfast." She smirked, handing me the plate she held.

I sat at the table as I ate my pancakes while Star stood and ate hers. I finished my pancake quietly after that. Star had to drop out around my age to take care of the two of us. Her friend, Dustin, helped as well but it wasn't the same..

Mom and Dad were gone.

And none of us could accept that.

As we were finishing, we heard a knock at the door.

"Dustins here!" I cried out as I hopped up from the table and bolted to the door to greet him.

"Hello?" Dustin called out as he stepped through the door, his face riddled with confusion.

"Dustin!" I called out to him holding my arms out. His confusion turned into a smile as he greeted me back with a hug cracking my back in the process.

"Hey T!" Dustin cried out before he dropped me back to the ground.

He never walked in to pick us up for school but seeing as he wore his favorite red flannel shirt, he was expecting to see someone else.

"Dusty!" Star called out as she ran from the kitchen to the front doorway to greet Dustin. His normal pale face turned as red as his hair as his eyes were set on Star, outstretching his arms to prepare for an embrace.

"Hey StarShine..!" Dustin gave Star a hug and swung her around with a smile. "It's been months!" he exclaimed"

As the two caught up, Penelope descended from the stairs and caught sight of the situation. She gave me a sickly face before putting her flats on and grabbing her backpack.

"Where are you going?" I asked as she walked past the lovebirds and out the door.

Penny looked back at me before pointing at Dustin's old orange pickup truck. I gave her a nod in return understanding what she meant. I looked at Star and Dustin and seen the lovestruck looks they had before as they talked with each other before making the decision to join Penny in the car.

While in the truck, Dustin had left the radio on. And for the morning news. Aaron Wilford, popular childrens actor, is seen leaving the Watney Hospital late last night.

My stomach turned and my face began to heat.

Aaron making a comment--

The radio went quiet before I heard his voice but it didn't stop me from tearing up. My idol.. So close to home...

Penelope's hands glowed, drawing my attention away from my thoughts. As I looked at her, her eyes glowing the same faint purple as her hands were as she created a small ball of light. As she concentrated she made the ball grow bigger until it poofed into little glittery specks.

Penny turned her attention to me, her eyes returning to her darker purple shade before smiling with delight. I clapped for her. She had sworn off using her powers as a child. Now seeing her interested in practicing it again is amazing to say the least. Now she could practice with Star when she feels comfortable enough.

"Sorry about that-" Dustin cut into our moment as he stepped into the truck and shut the driver door. "I haven't caught up with Star in a while.

"But.." He paused to buckle in before looking at the two of us, his eyes shining like a child getting ice cream, "I'll be joining you two for dinner tonight!"

I gasped and held on to my bag like it was about to fly away. We could catch up on our last checkpoint, he could help me with fixing the few things in my room, or-

I caught sight of Pennys demeanor. Slouched, hair covering her face as she sighed. Just overall depressing. Dustin took sight of it as well as he pulled out of our driveway.

"Don't worry. I'll bring dessert." He said nonchalantly. "It'll be nice to spend time with you two again.." 

//1165 words

Hey! I figured I would actually give a book to the comic! I've only made it to chapter two on the comic so ya'll only get chapter one right now. 

As you can see the comic is unpublished here but don't fret its still up on my website and on the Tapas app. if you want the comic back up here ill post all of them on one chapter. 

Also! I have commissions now!! check it out on my Linktr.ee through my portfolio page!!

thank you for reading!!//