I

Remus Lupin

"You're drooling."
James' voice pulled him out of the slight trance he was in. His voice was a mere whisper, the threat of a scolding lingering in class, especially in Professor McGonagall's class.

"What?"
He asked, his voice breathy while his mind was still clouded by the girl that continued to unknowingly hypnotize him. James motioned to his chin, instinctively Remus mirrored him. And then it clicked, James knew what he had just been doing and taunted him for it.

Remus had experienced teases and small pranks from the boys before, and it's been established that the best retaliation would be mild and tolerable pain.

So he stomped on James' foot.

But James being James Potter plus the countless past experiences with Remus, somehow foresaw his attack and made a huge effort to avoid it, which also caused a huge commotion.

"Yes, Mr.Potter?"
Questioned Professor Mcgonagall, tone remaining firm.

The whole classroom's attention was now on the pair, including the girl that had Remus' undivided attention just minutes ago.

"Nothing Professor."
James smiled, not so convincingly.

He should stick to leaving me to making up excuses.

"I do hope you are not fooling around Mr. Potter. You are expected to be at your best this year considering it is your OWLs year. So I highly suggest paying attention in my class."
She scolded while her expression remained of a strict teacher.
James only nodded while classmates snickered.

It's only the 2nd week back and he's already gotten a hundred scoldings from different teachers, one would say he's crazy for enduring all those but he's just James Potter.

Once Professor McGonagall returned to her discussion and returned her back faced to her students, James immediately leaned closer to Remus, assuring nobody hears his comments when he whispers.

"So you're crushing on that girl from Ravenclaw. Heard she's crazy for plants."
The corner of James' lips raised into a smirk, the warning from Professor McGonagall hung in the air, but like always, ignored by James Potter.

As much as he didn't want to, Remus could feel his cheeks grow hot. He hoped James was too busy playing Sherlock to notice the red tint to his cheeks.

"I'm not"

Lie.

"Yes, you are. If you weren't, you'd be paying attention to class instead of her."
The smug smirk still stayed on his lips and Remus wanted nothing more than to wipe it off and prove him wrong.

He was right though.

Remus was crushing on that girl from Ravenclaw.

The memory of their first encounter was still fresh in his mind, as fresh as the flowers she cradled that night.

"Moony hurry up!"
Sirius exclaimed, his quick heavy footsteps along with two other pairs boomed across the hall.

Each year since the formation of their little group, they've annually arranged a prank for each common room each start of term. An occasion where the suspects and knowing victims prepared for.

Remus was left behind, his caution and calculated silent moves slowed him down, left behind by the three ignorant boys galloping around the corridor.

"Alright alright! I'm catching up!"
His voice was a silent grumble, making sure his distaste was heard even in the low volume he spoke.

They weren't being careful yet they aren't getting caught. Might as well not be careful right?