TWENTY FOUR

Word Count: 1713

~Aven

I stare blankly at the wall, trying not to panic about the lack of windows, and the fact we are deep underground.

A knock at the door makes me jump. I've been in here for the past hour, trying to fall asleep, but unable to as the crushing reality of where I am looms over me. I'm not frightened of all the Noble's in here, surprisingly, just that I feel as though I'm buried underground. The small clock mounted on the wall is the only way I can believe that it is actually nighttime, aside from the heaviness in my limbs and eyelids. I just wish I could actually fall asleep.

The door cracks open, and Stace looks in. It takes him one look over all the dishevelled sheets and my own rumpled appearance to know that I haven't been sleeping, and don't plan on it any time soon.

"Are you going to be okay?" he asks softly, closing the door behind him as he steps into the room.

"I'll be alright," I sigh. The benefit of being in this place is that I haven't thought much about Lei and mother. Every time they cross my mind, I have to stop myself from falling into a state of deep sadness. Right now I'm satisfied concentrating on Stace and all the Noble's.

"I just wanted to make sure they didn't unnerve you," Stace murmurs uneasily, sitting at the end of the bed. Hiking my knees up to my chest, I shrug mindlessly. They door more than unnerve me; they terrify me. Kalder's power scares me more than he does, as he seems kind enough, however I'm not sure how I feel about Arkyn, and all his unfiltered confidence.

I catch Stace's gaze. "Maybe I'm getting used to powerful figures being in my presence."

"We can leave at any time," he reminds me. I nod tightly, even though I know I don't want to. If we return back to Stace's home, I'm going to have to face the issue of our mate bond, which I still haven't properly thought about exploring yet.

"Why are you so worried?"

"I want you to feel comfortable," he explains. Down here, in this macabre setting, Stace's eyes almost look darker, borderline sinister. Or maybe it's the tattoo's, which I have been expertly avoiding looking at, scared I'll see them moving, and be reminded of his power. "The last thing I want is for you to hate it here and decide you want to return."

"If I ask, would you actually take me back?" I question. He knows what I mean by taking me back - I mean home, with mother and Lei.

"I do not take this duty I have been assigned by my father, from yours, lightly. And you're my mate, I would do terrible things to the world around us just to keep you safe," he explains coldly, like it really is as clinical as he makes it sound.

"You could just say no," I grumble.

"I want you to know that it's not because I want to torture you," he reminds me. "I can give you anything you desire...Just not that."

He holds my gaze, the weight of his words settling on me. Anything I desire...The words sound as though they have another meaning. It's hard not to feel the sudden tension that tugs between us, as if the mate bond is literally pulling us together. Stace is attractive, unnervingly so, so hearing him suggest anything of that nature has me shivering with anticipation.

My head falls back against the headboard with a dull thud, knocking me out of my trance. "I wanted to travel, and that's what we are doing."

"Right...Well, there are a few places in Territory One I would like you to see before we head straight to Three." Stace sounds wary about that though, which I'm assuming is because of the other immortals that live in this Territory. I could happily go the rest of my life without having to meet anymore of them.