Epilogue

~Aven

Cold wind whips against me, frost crunching at my feet.

I've forgotten how cold it is here, making me even more grateful for what is waiting for me in Territory Two. But despite all of that, I'm more than grateful to be fully healed, and returned back to where my mother and my best friend are waiting for me.

Stace walks beside me as we approach my old home, rubbing his hands together. It's different having him here with me, where I grew up, but I like it.

I've always wanted a mate. And now here he is, by my side forever.

And with us as well, my father. Unfortunately his voice hasn't completely returned, but I can tell how grateful he is for us lifting the spell my mother had over him.

I'm just happy to have a father, for once in my life,

Knocking on the front door to my old home, a strange feeling overcomes me. So much has changed in such little time. The young, frightened girl from all those months ago wouldn't have believed where they would end up.

The door opens, one of mother's many staff members standing there, eyes widening at the sight of Stace. I sometimes forget how imposing he looks to those who have not become used to him.

"Aven, is that you?" I hear mother call out as we walk inside.

Sure enough, she approaches, practically running at the sight of me. I don't hesitate, launching myself toward her.

"Mother!"

Collapsing into her arms, all my emotions overcome me. It feels exactly as I remember, hugging her again. I have no doubt in my mind that she is my true mother, blood related or not, and I'm never going to doubt that again.

"You're back..." she murmurs into my hair.

"We came back as soon as we could. We can only visit, but I think we will be able to come see you more," I tell her, holding her shoulders as I look over her. She doesn't look any different, which is a relief.

"That's wonderful, I've missed you," she exclaims, running her hands down my arms as if she can't believe I'm here. "Lei is here, I'm sure she would like to see you."

"Aven!"

Looking up toward the top of the stairs, I see my best friend rushing down, blonde hair amess, looking no different either. Just as I did to mother, I'm in her arms as a second. It seems a lifetime ago that I said goodbye to her, not knowing if I would see her again.

"I've missed you so much," I tell her.

When she steps away from me, her gaze drags back to my mate, who stands back, giving us space for our reunion. The sly smile that crosses her face is one I've seen her sport many times in my life. She brings it out just for any of my past boyfriends, or crushes. Now she can assault my mate with it.

"Hello Stace. I hope you have been treating my best friend well," she says, although there is a hint of warning in her tone. She knows how powerful he is, and she couldn't care less.

He dips his head, smiling also. "Of course."

I step back, motioning to the man who lingers behind us politely. "This is my father by the way. My birth father."

"Wow...Nice to met you," my mother greets, looking over him carefully.

I rest my hand on my father's back, hoping from now on he can be integrated into my family. "He can't speak. We broke the spell that my evil birth mother put over him, but it will take some time for him to be able to speak again."

My mother shakes his hand, and I feel myself starting to relax some more. "It's nice to meet you anyway. It seems we need to catch up on a few things regarding your birth parents."

"A lot has happened. I'm just so happy to be back with you all," I say.

"Let me get you a drink," mother says, smiling warmly at my father. He nods eagerly, and they walk off toward the dining area together.

"What's going on with you two then?" Lei asks once they have left the room.

"We are going to return to Territory Two so we can be together," I tell her. I wish I could stay, but I need to be with Stace, and he needs to be where he rules. There are people relying on him there, and I can always return to visit my family in time.

"Of course, I understand," she murmurs, although the sadness in her eyes makes my heart fall.

Stace winds his fingers through mine, smiling gently down at me. "There is actually something I want to do with you, Aven, before we have to return."

"What is it?" I ask.

"We will be back in time for dinner," Stace assures Lei, before the world around me falls apart. I cling to my mate, until my feet touch the ground. I have no idea where he is taking me, until I open my eyes, and it all makes sense.

I'm back at the waterfall. The first time Stace and I truly encountered each other.

I can't help but laugh. It feels like forever ago, that I was standing here with Alec, ready for my first kiss, only for me to slip into the waterfall, and not be saved by him. Instead, my own mate was there, dragging me from the river to safety. If only I were able to meet him then, to be with him then.

"Can I tell you something," Stace asks softly. A haze of water flutters down over us from the waterfall.

"Sure."

"That day you slipped into the river, it was no accident. And it was no coincidence that I was there," he murmurs. I step back, frowning.

"What do you mean?" I ask warily.

"That day, a powerful Immortal was here, threatening your life to get to me. To warn me, he set you up to fall into that river, which is why I was there to save you," Stace explains. I close my eyes, shaking my head. Stace was there, watching all along? I had no idea someone was there, threatening my life like that.

I let Stace take my hands. "Do they still want to kill me?"

"No, that threat is gone. I just wanted to tell you," he murmurs, pulling me closer to him again. Despite myself, I can't help but smile.

"And here I was thinking I was just clumsy," I say breathily.

Stace smiles, relived at my reaction. I can't bring myself to be upset, knowing too many people have wanted me dead for too long now, and I'm just grateful it's over. And now, I can return to my mate to my new home.

Stace leans down, threading his fingers back through my hair as he kisses me.

This is how it should have gone, my first kiss. It should have been with my mate, who I love.

But instead of concentrating on the past, I need to be in the moment, with Stace, who kisses me gloriously.

And for the first time in a long time, I'm excited about what comes next.

💜••💜

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed (:

If you would like to continue reading my work, check out my completed novel Alpha Isaiah on Wattpad now!

~Midika 💜🐼