Chapter 5- Jack's Encouragement

Annalise
*~*~*~*~*~*
I eye Henry incredulously as I walk in the room with Damien. The tension was very unsettling. Landon and Jack both look at each other, trying to find the right words to say. I gulped, viewing Damien's calculating gaze on both of them. He was scowling, obviously not liking the idea of his friends keeping secrets from him.

He was like Henry in a way, always two steps ahead. They were observant, and didn't rush to make haste decisions as Jack would. They realized every action has a consequence, and the right ones could lead you to your goal.

Henry stuffed the chalk in his trouser pockets, the sly bastard. A smile was plastered on his face that resembled ease, a facade better than Landon or Jack could dream of pulling off.

"We know about this Sunday." Landon looks away, folding his arms as if he was in defeat. Damien sighs, pulling up a chair next to them. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Damien pull up a chair for me too, and I meet his gaze with slight discomfort.

Why are we sitting down?

"So you know about the coronation." He remarks, his elbows resting on his thighs as his hands ball at his chin to hold it up.

"You're actually getting married... this Sunday?" I ask him, wanting to grab his hand. I felt uncomfortable doing so as we were discussing his marriage to somebody else. It's not like we didn't plan for this, but hearing it come out of his mouth made it real. It made it definite, a way of finality that only his deep voice could make me realize.

"Yes. She's arriving tomorrow." He looks over at me, taking my hand in his. I didn't him to touch me anymore. Why didn't he tell me this before I willingly lost my virginity to him?

I take my hand back,"Tomorrow?"

It's only Tuesday.

"I have a plan." He looks back at my hand, taking in my uncomfortable stance with worry.

Henry rolls his eyes,"Do tell, Damien."

"I'm going to reject her at the wedding."

"Well, I would hope so." I huff out, crossing my arms with a snarl. He couldn't act as if this wasn't necessary after everything we had been through. I wasn't too worried, because the ship would be leaving early in the morning before the coronation could even begin.

"What if your father doesn't allow you to be crowned then? Usually, the wedding takes place before the crowning." Henry debates.

"Then I won't be crowned. He probably won't let me, especially after my show of rejection towards Tarzla. They will be embarrassed, and it will cause rivalry between our kingdoms." He sighs, placing his hands in his lap. I knew he kept looking at me from the corner of his eye, but I paid him no mind. He kept this from me.

"That's not a bad plan, Damien." Henry's eyes dance with amusement, as if it was a secret debate for who held more information and who's diabolical plan was better.

This wasn't a competition.

"All I know is that I am not marrying Princess Amelia. This decision is final."

"Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired. It's been a long day." Hazalen grabs Landon's hand, giving me a look saying 'we need to leave this room'.

"I agree," Damien stands up as well, reaching his hand out to me. I shake it away, not in anger but disappointment.

"I just want to stay back for a minute to collect my thoughts." I remark, looking up at him. He takes a beat, scanning my face with an emotionless look. I knew this meant he was upset.