CHAPTER 2

I walk out of Mr. Crawford's office and approach the desk across from it.

"Hello," I say to Vivienne.

"I can't believe you didn't take the money. How much more money do you want?"

"Excuse me, how do you know he offered me money?"

"You just want to work here so you can seduce Jason and get more money out of him," she says, ignoring my question. I'm surprised she called him by his first name. They must be really close.

"No, that's not why I want to work here. Why would you make such an accusation?"

"I'm going to tell you right now, it's not going to happen. Jason already has enough office romances. Your plan of seducing him isn't going to work," she says, ignoring my question again.

"I don't plan to seduce Mr. Crawford. Can you stop hurtling accusations, please?" I'm starting to get annoyed.

"Honey, you can pretend all you like, but don't worry. The day you try to seduce Jason, he'll reject you and throw you out. And I'll be smiling and telling you, 'I told you so,'" she says with an evil smirk plastered on her face.

"I don't plan on seducing him. Let me tell you something about me--I don't date guys his age. He's too old for me," I say, honestly. Mr. Crawford might be an attractive man, but he's more than a decade older than me. If you add a few more years, he'll be the same age as my uncle. It'd be weird and creepy to seduce someone as old as the man who raised me.

She lets out a fake laugh. "No woman on this earth wouldn't want to date someone as attractive as Jason. You can lie all you want, but I don't believe you. And I won't be letting my guard down around you. I'll be watching you closely."

I suspect Mr. Crawford and Vivienne are already closer than a CEO and his secretary should be. It would make sense with the way she's been talking about him. You'd think Mr. Crawford is her boyfriend and I'm trying to steal him from her.

"As much as I'd like to continue arguing with you about my true intentions, I don't think anything I say will change your mind. So why don't we just move on, and you can fill me in on my duties."

"That's a good idea; at least you're smart," she says, rolling her eyes.

"Thank you."

"It wasn't a compliment. Follow me. I'll take you to your first assignment for the day."

I don't say anything as I follow her. We walk a few doors away from the CEO's office before stopping. Vivienne opens the door, and it's a smaller office. I'm getting my own office! I'm surprised because even Vivienne doesn't have an office, but I get one. Or so I thought. Vivienne's next words make the smile on my face turn into a frown.

"This is my office. I want you to move everything you saw on my old desk to here."