Chapter Seven

Scarred might be confusing sometimes but it'll make sense eventually

***

"Can I clear my conscience
If I'm different from the rest
Do I have to run and hide?

I never said that I want this
This burden came to me
And it's made its home inside."

Taehyung's legs and arms were shaking, so much that it was almost unbearable. His lips were already red and swollen from how harsh his teeth had pulled on them in an attempt to drown out the whimpers that were trying to fall past them.

He's never felt such tremendous fear, not once in his whole life but, as he stood there, under the boy's curious gaze, his whole body trembling, Taehyung realized that no one—nor anything on that planet—could ever make a person feel so scared.

It was like Jeongguk's whole body was emanating fear.

Taehyung kept his eyes closed, waiting for his life to be finally taken but, as seconds passed, the sound of the clock assuring him that he was still alive, he realized that Jeongguk, rather JK, hadn't moved at all. 

After taking a deep breath, Taehyung opened his eyes, his irises being immediately greeted by JK's shallow ones. The boy's palms were pressed to his cheeks, his legs raised on the chair, making him seem much smaller than he actually was—Jeongguk was quite tall but in that position of his he seemed rather small. With a tilt of his head, JK raised his eyebrows, like he was mocking Taehyung for staring at him—that or he was quietly asking him to talk and break the silence.

Taehyung, even if he would've wanted to, didn't think he could for his voice seemed to be gone due to the overwhelming fear overtaking his entire body and mind. He's never felt anything like that before. It was like JK's irises were forcing fear into his body as the boy stared at him. He wasn't even doing anything and yet, his presence was so overwhelming that Taehyung could feel the domineering fear swirl through every inch of his body.

It wasn't just fear that he was feeling. It was complete terror.

The silence around them did indeed break but not because of Taehyung's baritone voice, nor because of his rapid heartbeat. JK's voice echoed in the quiet room, making the doctor raise his head hastily towards his patient—who was not quite himself.

"Were you able to calm down, bun? It's strange, you remind me of bunnies even if you don't resemble them." JK's lips moved slowly, repeating each syllable with an accent, as if he was mocking Taehyung.

He was actually doing it, the doctor realized when the boy smiled wickedly at him. Taehyung coughed before answering just to make sure his voice wasn't going to break but he was pretty sure JK could feel his fear anyway.

"Are you the one they call JK?"  The doctor tried to avoid the boy's gaze as much as possible but the amused sound that fell past the teenager's lips caused him to meet his gaze again. To his surprise, the boy was laughing but there was no sign of happiness or joy in his voice.

"JK here, JK there. I can't understand why they're calling me that."

Taehyung wasn't sure if he was supposed to answer him or not because the boy didn't seem to be talking to anyone in particular. His eyes stared blankly ahead as his lips murmured the two letters in a whisper before raising in yet another wicked smile. 

He seemed lost in his own thoughts but Taehyung, even if his whole body was still shivering, felt like that chance was probably the only one he was going to get—he had to find out who was Jeongguk and what was happening to him. He felt the urge to unravel the truth behind Jeongguk's identity—behind JK's existence.